AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can you be below the first page bid amount, when there are no others bidding for those keywords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When I search on my chosen keywords, no other paid ads appear. I set my bid for those keywords low, but not ridiculous, yet when I next check, adwords says it is below first page bid. The guidance is twice my bid.

I search the keywords myself and there are no other paid for searchers.

I can only conclude that I am being ripped off by the automated pickpocketing system. I therefore have a very negative view of the value of keyword advertising.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can you be below the first page bid amount, when there are no others bidding for those keywo

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

You get a too low AdRank due to low quality score and/or low bid

Re: How can you be below the first page bid amount, when there are no others bidding for those keywo

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

David

1. I am a start up business and dont have much money to spend on advertising my products. Google was once a start up but now they are a greedy multinational corporation.

2. My ad rank was 10/10 but still didnt show because my bid was too low.

3. My bid was above the minimum.

4. There were no other adwords adverts showing on that search.

Google = rip off. They are price gouging and I wont accept them impeding my business chances. Therefore I have complained to the EU about their market abuse.

It is tough times economically and yet they want to squeeze me dry. How fair is that?

David

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

High score not showing

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi uvuume,

Finding no ads on a search results page for your query does not in any way indicate you can get clicks for cheap. Rather, it indicates that those keywords have not worked well for other advertisers in the past. Google will not show ads that are unlikely to get clicks unles you bid fairly high for those keywords. I'd suggest you research your keywords a bit more and try some others.

Google's objective is not to show your ad. Instead, Google goal is to show ads that are "relevant" to the user--ads that are likely to get clicks.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Price gouging

Pete,

You can see the adword score and you can see the blatant attempt to raise the required bid. I am not going to spend £1.25 just to make Google FAT with profit when my business needs every penny to get going. I hope you can see that being an apologist for this type of market abuse only perpetuates their monopoly...

This is a tough recession and why should they get fat on others struggle? They have forgotten their roots.

David

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by LauraAdEngineer (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi David,

I can't tell what your business or what your objective is. But I would suggest that "crowdsourcing", "crowdsourced", "on-site video" as broad match keywords are very broad, even too broad. Do you provide a platform, software, a web site that is  crowd sourced. From this view of your account, I can't tell what your business. Most likely, Google can't either and has a difficult time determining when to show your ad for maximum relevance. That's their objective.

You can over-ride that objective by bidding a high amount, or you can find keywords that will be more relative to your business. It is rarely a good idea to set up a campaign with single word, broad match keywords. For example, I typed in "crowdsourced" and got back one paid ad. Apparently that advertiser was willing to pay that price. But, when I typed in "crowdsourced company", I got back a full complement of relevant ads.

I almost never use broad match terms, precisely because they are way too broad. And I rarely use a single word as a keyword. Instead, for broad reach, I will use Broad Match Modified. With this, you place a plus sign in front of the words that must appear anywhere within the search query. For example, if you are a crowdsourcing company, create a keyword: +crowdsourcing +company. I would also create phrase match and exact match of the same keywords. One thing you might try is to go to Google search and start entering your keyword and watch the "Google Suggest". These will be queries that users have actually used to find what ever they are looking for. Use those as ideas for keywords. Make the keywords you use are closely related to your business product or service. 

Google is not really trying to extort money from you to run your ads. They are telling you that the keyword is not very relevant all alone. It would need further qualification in the search query, and those qualifications should be your keywords as well. They are telling you they don't expect that keyword, as relative to your ad and your landing page to get you many clicks. They are also telling you that you can bid higher if you want to show any way,

Competition is not the only factor that goes into the first page bid figure. In your attached image, I would say that not many advertisers are willing to bid high enough for that first page placement. It is highly likely they have tried it at least once in the past and they did not have success with that keyword. I would interpret that to say that you won't have much success either.

I am certainly not apologizing for a thing that Google does, simply trying to explain how they view things. I am not Google by any means. The choice is now yours. Try to find keywords that work for you and stop obsessing on this set of keywords,  or keep complaining the system doesn't work the way you think it should. The challenge here is to figure out how the system works and design your campaigns around that system.

We're are mostly volunteers here, and we are here to try to help you be successful. Whether you take action on our advice is up to you.

Best of Luck to you,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 8
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi uvuume,

Pete's answer and examples are excellent. Your keywords are general. 

I just want to provide you with links to the tools and resources that can help you to improve your campaign performance:

• use the Keyword tool to find relevant keywords. What is it that you offer? 
  • use different keyword match types
  • AdWords first page bids are only estimates  - you don't need to always increase bid; instead try to find more relevant keywords and set up higher bid only for the most important keyword or the keyword that will perform the best 

Next week, my colleague will discuss keyword performance. You can join this discussion if you wish.

Best,

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I appreciate the attempts at explanation. First an allegory. If you lived in a town with only one supermarket and they said milk was £20 per pint because it will cost you £19 to drive to the next town, then you would be exploited. The supermarket would be using its market dominance to price gouge as much money as possibke from captive customers.

I am sure that this hypothetical supermarket would give a lot of technical explanation as to why a prospective customer didnt understand the variables or milk yields or refrigeration. So that hocus pocus £20 sounds like value.

Now for some reality.

I need roughly 100 visits for every sale I make. I have a product which costs £20. I am a new business. You guys say that £1.25 is explained by the term spread and the widget factor or the magic lantern powder. I say you'd say the king looks great in his new clothes. You think that buying one £20 customer costs £ 125? You are worse than apologists, you are blind apologists.

The system manipulates bids to extract as much money as they can squeeze out of advertisers. I have credit sat in my account because I won't raise my bid. If you were spending your own money you would all think much more clearly about how meaningful term spreads or generalisation s were. Take a step back and experiment with some terms and your own cash. You will find your terms come over as pretty hollow and self serving.

Google use their market dominance to stifle small businesses who most need an avenue to customers. There is no way a new set of terms can cost so much from the get go. Google = Greedle

Try using adwords for that made up words and you'll see what I mean.

David

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As it says "try raising your bid" and see if we think we should show your ad to customer searching those terms. Who are they to sensor which customers get to see my ad? It is a travesty, it is manipulation, it is abuse.

You can put lipstick on a pig.... but it is still a pig.