AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can there be view-through conversions without having any conversions set up?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For an ad group, there are 0 conversions; 4 All Conversions; 127 View-Through conversions. What is being counted for the view-through conversions if we don't have any conversions set up yet?

1 Expert replyverified_user

How can there be view-through conversions without having any conversions set up?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Marjori, 

The simple answer is, view-through conversions are when a person sees your display network ad (display image or rich media ad) but does not click on it. The said person later visits your website and converts.

There must be some kind of conversion tracking setup because you've also listed 4 "All Conversions". I suggest you that you segment by "Conversion Name" to see which conversion was triggered. "All Conversions" looks at conversions including cross-device / browser. 

Source: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/3419678?ctx=tltp

Let me know if this answers your question! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That was a great suggestion. Yes, we had been tracking conversions a while back on a landing page. As a follow-up, how can there be more view-through conversions than actual conversions? Using All-time: there are 127 View-throughs, 4 All conversions, 2 conversions. Shouldn't "All Conversions" be the largest number? It's not like there were phone conversions so I'm confused what else could be being counted.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

It's semantics but essentially Adwords (and most AdWords advertising professionals) look at view-through conversions separate from actual click-through conversions - hence why All Conversions is different than View-throughs.

Another tip I recommend for you is that go to your Analytics account - > select Reporting -> Go to Conversions -> Select Multi-Channel Funnels -> Go to Top Conversion Path -> Select Primary Dimension Source/Medium -> Select the conversions you want to examine at the top.

This will give you an idea not of view-through conversions, but sources of past conversions and their behaviour.

- Josh  

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’