AdWords
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can that be ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When using the google keyword planer I am getting the following results for the word "kunstmaler":

Germany: 1.300

Denmark: 390

Swiss: 260

Austria: 70

When using Google Trend I get the following result:

Capture.JPG

When comparing these results I would say, they DO NOT MATCH !

So.. not sure.. do I read the data wrong or is this clearly a glitch ?

And what do you think can I trust here ?

The data from google planer or from google trend ?

Your thoughts ?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can that be ?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

there is no indication that the tools are using identical data-sets, time frames,
scales, or have been designed with the same numerical-stability properties --
the two likely cannot be used for any valid or robust comparisons as-is.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
In addition to the answer by Celebird, please remember that the data for the keyword planner is actual numbers, while for "trend" the data is normalized.

https://support.google.com/trends/answer/4365533?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
normalization methods might be considered yet
another (algorithmic) form of numerical-stability.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Goole trends graphs are about the popularity of a search "relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time."

The graphs results comparing Danemark and Germany simply translate into that word being more searched in Danemark in comparison to the total google searches from that country. 

To read from here :

https://support.google.com/trends/answer/4355164?hl=en&rd=1

"The numbers on the graph reflect how many searches have been done for a particular term, relative to the total number of searches done on Google over time. They don't represent absolute search volume numbers,...."

"

Downward sloping lines

A downward trending line means that a search term's popularity is decreasing. It doesn't mean that the absolute, or total, number of searches for that term is decreasing."

The missing piece of information is how many "total number of searches" are there in Danemark and how many in Germany. Apparently because the volume of searches from Danemark is lower (being a smaller country) , it must be that the total searches in germany are much higher and the resulting ratio is smaller. This is normal since the word is in german and in Danemark it is not the main language.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

An example on how to corelate Google trends and Keyword planner  :

Let's say that total Danemark Google Searches from a time-frame  is 130.000 , than the searches for "Kunstaler" being 390 , they mean 0.3 % (390 / 130000) of total searches from that country. The popularity is a percentage from that country.

Now if the total Germany Google Searches from the same time-frame is 1.300.000 ( ten times more volume of total searches than Danemark) , than the searches for "Kunstaler" being 1300, they represent only 0.1 % (1300 / 1300000) of total Searches from Germany.

The popularity in germany would be 0.1 % compared to 0.3 % in Danemark, this is why the word is considered 3 times less popular in Germany ( 100 points in trends compared to 35)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow.... didn't think about that. But your explanation is really great. This makes sense now.

so even if it's more popular in Denmark doesn't mean that in Denmark is a higher search volume. Wonderful.

You made my day !!!!
Thank you so much !