AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can i track a keyword to a conversion (customer make cc payment)?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What if the credit card page is on another page?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Daniel,

If the purchaser is leaving your site to make payment, you are best to ask your payment provider how to track conversions.

Many providers let you integrate Google Analytics.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

Hello @Daniel L,

Google AdWords Conversion Tracking and Google Analytics Goals are both powerful tools that provide insight into if your website users are performing actions that are of value to your business.

AdWords Conversion Tracking runs off of a 3rd party cookie - when you click on an AdWords ad for a specific account, a cookie is set to the browser. For Google Search, this cookie is set against the domain www.googleadservices.com.  With AdWords Conversion Tracking, it is possible to put your account's Conversion Tracking code on a separate domainthan the domain you are sending your ad traffic to and have the conversion details attributed back correctly. For more information on AdWords Conversion Tracking, please see this Help Center article.

On the other hand, Google Analytics tracks using a first party cookie, so there is additional setup needed if you’re taking users across different domains. If you’re taking users across a top level domain and subdomain (such as www.site1.com and store.site1.com), then you’ll need to make sure you set up your Analytics tracking code to support subdomain tracking. If you’re taking users across multiple top level domains (such as www.site1.com andwww.site2.com), then you’ll need to make sure you set up your Analytics tracking code to support cross domain tracking. If you send information between the domains using links or forms, you’ll want to make sure you customize those links as explained in this article. For more information on Analytics goals, please see this Help Center article.

If you’re interested in other differences and finding out which tracking method would best suit your needs between AdWords Conversion Tracking and Analytics Goals, I would recommend this article.

I hope this helps clarifies setup for you!

Regards,

Syed Sayem Mustafa

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hello @RobSkelton,

What if the payment provider does not allow? Is there any other way do track conversion?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If the payment provider doesn't allow tracking then there are a couple of options...

1. change provider - let's face it, it today's market they should provide tracking for their customers.

2. using Google Tag Manager you can easily set up an event that will track when a visitor leaves your site to go to the payment provider site - either by tracking the button click or by tracking the destination url of the link. This will not be 100% reliable since a number of people will drop out of the process, but it will probably be useful enough in terms of optimisation.

I'd still change my provider though....

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi 

You should add the payment provider as an exculsion on your analytics and the conversions will be picked up by both adwords and analytics

regards,

Zaby

Re: How can i track a keyword to a conversion (customer make cc payment)?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

So I have to know google analytics?

I wanted to sell my own product with a new website.

I will advertise and buy Google Adwords.

Still looking for a payment provider that does not charge too high. Paypal maybe.

If i were to use a tracker like voluum, i dont know how to do a post back from the payment provider to voluum. I checked with 2checkout, nope they don't do this.

Unless i dont use voluum at all to track.

Any help is much appreciated.

I don't know where to go from here.

Daniel

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

The other option is if the provider lets you have a return URL - PayPal does this. So after payment they return to a page on your site, which you can track as a conversion. As mentioned above, if using Analytics, add the provider's site to your exclusion list.