AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can I tell which Acronym-related KWs bring clicks?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys,

I have a campaign with single-term keywords derived from an industry acronym.  For the sake of the discussion, let's say I'm selling the Best Darned Product Ever.  My industry refers to this product as "BDPE."  And my customers know the product as BDPE, so that's how they search it out online.

I realized a while ago that AdWords considers BDPE (all in caps) to be a different keyword from "bdpe" (all lower-case).  Furthermore, it rightly considers "BDPE" (phrase match) to be different from [BDPE] exact match.  So, all told,(exculding variations with periods) there are at least 6 permutations of this single keyword.

Now that's all fine and dandy.  But when I want to see which keywords perform better for each ad, I'm not able to distinguish between the broad match, phrase match and exact match variations.  My filtered results end up looking like three sets of the same two keywords.

All that having been said...

THE QUESTION:

Is there a way to further filter or generate reports which SHOW the match type identifiers?

Any input would be very much appreciated!

Thanks friends,

-Mateo

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: How can I tell which Acronym-related KWs bring clicks?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mateo,
If you go into Google Analytics, in your AdWords reports, select the Matched Search Queries report. Then select the secondary dimension of "Query Match Type" and you're good to go Smiley Happy

mached.jpg

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Mateo,

To add to the great advice from Dave about visits and match types I noticed from the question the request for keywords and clicks  "How can I tell which Acronym-related KWs bring clicks?" .

The relationship between keywords,clicks and match types is highlighted in the Search Terms report in AdWords.

To see this report, use a large time-frame such as the last 30 days, go to a campaign or an ad group in the keywords tab and click on the "Details" button. Select "All" under Search Terms. Now click on Columns, select "Customise columns" and from the "Attributes" click to add the keyword Column. You can also rearrange the columns to see the Clicks and keyword columns closer to the Search terms and match type.

search-terms-report.png

Regarding question 2 "which keywords perform better for each ad". You need to download the search terms report and add the segment "Ad ID" which is available only at the download stage, not in the interface, like this :

search-terms-by-ad-id.png

Now go to the Ads tab in the same Ad group, click on Columns / Customise columns and under the Attributes set you will find the same ID. Make sure you have selected all ads (even deleted ones if they triggered search terms) and download the Ads report.You can keep from the Ads report only the columns "Ad , Description Line 1, Description line 2 and Ad ID" .

Syncronisation : Return to the Search terms report and order the Ad ID column ascending and now you can see groupings of the same ad code on sequential rows, you can then add 3 empty columns in front of Ad ID and copy paste the corresponding title and descriptions lines from the Ad report.

Good luck

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,
I just want to correct something, AdWords is not Case-Sensitive , so BDPE is the same as bdpe.

"Keywords aren't case-sensitive, which means they're matched without regard to uppercase or lowercase letters. For example, you don't need to enter women's hats and Women's Hats as keywords -- just women's hats will cover both."

The only time it matters, when using DKI . In this case adwords will use the same capitalization as your keyword.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Good Eagle Eye Ahmed , I skipped that part , so there are no 6 permutations.

I do too much "text scanning" with my eyes instead of reading carefully Smiley Happy

I like the consistent data set shown by Dave, those many visits must be a real joy to turn inside out to find trends and adjustments, besides the fact that they must have costed a fortune to be aquired.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Wow! What a response! And what great answers. Thanks to everyone who replied. You've been a lot of help!
-Mateo

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Adrian,

Thank you for your reply. It gave me the exact answer to what I needed.

BUT...

When I run the KW report as you described, I only get a tiny fraction of the actual clicks reporting, and it only shows exact match results. Recall that I'm using phrase match, exact match and broad match with my 4-letter acronym KW.

I've made sure that the time frame includes the complete account history and that all ads and all KWs are being displayed in the campaign manager before I run the report.

What am I doing wrong? I know the information is there. Just not able to figure out how to access it!

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Mateo

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is strange indeed. The Search terms report does not include only the last 2 days.

If you want a quick way to see the association of Ads and Keywords ( not search terms ) then go to the Ads tab, click on the Segment Button and choose "Keyword/ Placement" , you will see below each Ad what keyword triggered it and the individual pair statistic keyword+Ad.

Tricky : In the interface this segment does not show you the match types of keywords ( unless they are BMM with + signs) but if you download this report "Ads segmented by keyword" you will also see match types in excel.

To troubleshoot the search terms report :

- generate it again at the ad group level and look at the bottom of it on the row "other search terms", does it report any clicks ?

other-search-terms.png

- when I look at my search terms report the exact match appears also first , but when I scroll down, other match types appear, try clicking on the header of the table on the Match Type to reorder it ascending/descending

- last resort : try downloading the search terms report and verify how many rows you get in Excel. It should match more or less the number of clicks reported by the interface in the same time-frame when looking at the keywords tab.