AdWords
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can I search which ad is sending people to a specific URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I detect in google analytics traffic to an old URL. I've reviewed each ad one by one looking for it but I can't find it. I don't sell that product anymore, I'm wasting money

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pedro F
August 2016

Re: How can I search which ad is sending people to a specific URL?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hey Pedro,

If these ads are in a paid search campaign then I would look at the keyword destination URLs. Keyword destination URLs will override ad destination URLs when present so it could be that a couple keywords are still pointing to the old product.
Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Pedro F,

@JimVaillancourt makes a great point and is something to check out. 

Further, what report within Google Analytics are you seeing the URL listed under? 

If you are certain that you have reviewed each ad within AdWords, and the URL is not in use, then it should not be paid traffic that is bringing the hits. Have you considered adding a 301 redirect to your server/site and pushing the traffic to another URL that is currently active? 

Please know that there could be many reasons people are still accessing the URL outside of Adwords (not being charged). If a person bookmarked the URL and revisits it, or if a a cached version that had the Analytics tracking code installed gets visited... Analytics would pick up on this traffic and report it.

Let's try this:

1) Go to Ads.

2) Change view to "All" (dropdown menu above red box + Ad).

3) Go to the very bottom of the page (bottom left) and change "Show Rows" to something really high like 500.

Now, go back up to the top and review each ad. You can hover your mouse over each ad title and in the lower left corner of your browser, the URL will show. This works in Google Chrome and for text ads (display ads will not show). You will have to open the display ads but then click cancel as to not edit or put your ads back through review process. Do you now see the ad(s) with the URL? Are they paused or removed?

Please let us know what you discover.

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Hi Pedro,

There is also a report that you can run:

Dimensions tab > Final URL

It will show you all the pages your ads sent people over a given period. You can modify the columns to show campaign or ad group.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,
I'm seeing that in the referral traffic report. The source is
googleads.g.doubleclick.net.
That is why I'm saying that the traffic comes from adwords.

Meanwhile I followed Jim and Rob's suggestions and was able to solve the problem. Thanks for your help! :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Jim! Checking the FINAL URL, in the DIMENSIONS tab, as per RobSkelton's suggestion, shows that there is indeed traffic being sent to the old URL. So your guess was correct. I corrected it :-) Thanks for all the help

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
RobSkelton your input was critical to solve the problem! Thanks