AdWords
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can I refine my location targeting?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm currently running an adwords campaign for my London-based business. I wanted to analyse my results by location to see which area of London drove the most clicks and conversions. I dropped a blue location tracking pin in every area of London.

However, two weeks later when I went to analyse my results, I found the vast majority of clicks, impressions and conversions were tagged under 'London', which only minimal results from the individual areas - E14, NW6 for example. Is there a way I can see which specific areas of London all the clicks tagged as 'London' are coming from?

Hope this makes sense! Thanks very much. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How can I refine my location targeting?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Saskia,

Thanks for your question. 

To refine your location targeting you just need to adjust the location targeting on your campaign so that you are specifying these specific areas.

Here's an overview on how to do this:

1. Click the Campaigns tab.
  2. Click the name of the campaign you wish to edit.
  3. Click the Settings tab.
  4. Click Edit next to "Locations" and click Advanced search.
  5. Click Radius targeting.
  6. In the search box, enter the address of the location you'd like to use for the center of the radius. Enter the radius.

Here is more information regarding how to do this. This article also contains how to add locations in bulk so that you don't have to add all of the neighborhoods individually.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any additional questions. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Saskia

Adding to @Shanea K Great Answer that, As per my knowledge you can view most specific location upto postal code only that to for US only. For UK, i think city would be the most specific location that you can view in reports.

My views!

Abhishek

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Saskia,

My understanding of your question is that you have already defined several radiuses in the great area of London and now you want to see clicks and impressions distributed by those radiuses.

For this you have to click on the left on the campaign, then click on the Settings button , then on Locations. You will get to see something like this

impressions-by-radius.png

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Saskia,

You may also try 'User locations' tab under 'Dimensions' to get clear view of the geographical performance.

I hope this helps.

Kapil M

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

Thanks very much for your insights, and taking the time to respond.

However, I have set up location targeting and am able to view the results for those locations. My issue is that the majority of my results are showing as generic 'London' results, even though I've set up targeting for individual areas within London.
See image: http://tinypic.com/r/2418dxz/8.
How can I see where in London clicks are coming from? Or is it that, as Abhishek says, this option isn't available in the Uk?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Saskia,

Yes you can see the specific location from where clicks are coming from.. follow the instructions below:

1. Go to the dimensions tab.
2. Change the axis X-dimension to Geography (there is a drop down below Campaigns tab).
3. Now, customize the column (there is a column drop down below settings or ads tab).
4. Under 'Select metrics' > Level of detail, choose 'most specific location', 'city' etc. whatever details you want to see.
5. Click on Apply.

Hope this helps.

-Kundan