AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How can Adwords count more clicks than my website is receiving?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, on March 1st 2013, Google Adwords counted and charged me for 557 clicks to my website - yet my website on received a total of 353 unique hits from all sources. Who is right?

Thanks, 

Rob Leonatd

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How can Adwords count more clicks than my website is receiving?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm not sure about your timezone but here in the UK it's still Mach 1st. Analytics can take up to 24 hours to report the full amount of traffic you have received whereas Adwords pulls in click data much more freqently.

There will always be a small difference as Adwords measures clicks and Analytics measures visits. A small diffrerence that can lead to slightly different numbers.

Difference between clicks and visits

Ryan.

Ryan.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm not sure about your timezone but here in the UK it's still Mach 1st. Analytics can take up to 24 hours to report the full amount of traffic you have received whereas Adwords pulls in click data much more freqently.

There will always be a small difference as Adwords measures clicks and Analytics measures visits. A small diffrerence that can lead to slightly different numbers.

Ryan.

Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Ryan - appreciate your response. However, google measures by timezone, and so we were measuring like with like/ Also the dofference wan't small - 557 clicks measured by google adwords, and 353 unique hits measured from ALL sources by our own website analytics.

@RyanHoldaway wrote:

Hi,

Ryan.

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

You're absolutely right about the timezones. If you could answer the following questions it may help:

• Is this the first day that you've had this problem?
  • What timezone are you in?
  • Have the figures in Analytics changes since your first post?
  • How much PPC traffic do you get on a normal day?
  • How much non-PPC traffic do you receive on a normal day?
  • You mention that it's 353 uniques, how much returning traffic have you received?
  • How much do you normally receive?
  • Where is your Analytics code placed within the HTML of your pages?
  • Are you sure that the code is on every page of the website?
  • Have you made any alterations to the code that's provided in Analytics?
  • In Adwords, if you go to the dimensions tab and change the view to hour, what percentage of traffic for the day came after 20:00?
  • Have you linked Adwords and Analytics?
  • Are you using Autotagging?

There will be a reason why there's a disparity and I would still guess that it's because Analytics hasn't updated all the traffic for yesterday, but if you answer the questions, it may help.

Ryan.

Ryan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Ryan, Timezone is New Zealand - but can confirm that both Google Adwords and the website analytics are on the same time zone. Plus, we have been running Adwords now for 3 years without this sort of situation. The disparity is now happening each day, with Google showing significantly more clicks to the website than hits registering on the site. However, I have just had a thought - this has only started to happen since I 'enhanced' my Adwords account. Do you think it's possible that has made some difference? Perhaps, for example, my site isn't registering mobile hits from mobiles?