AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How are view-through conversions reported?

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

This is a question we have seen a few times recently from users who used to use our view-through conversion search de-duplication feature. Jess is here from our North American team to explain how the deprecation of this feature affected your view-through conversion reporting.

4 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Craig B
September 2015

Re: How are view-through conversions reported?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Hi Community,

For a view-through conversion search to occur, the user must completes these steps:
1. User sees a display image or rich media ad on the display network, but does not click on it.
2. User completes a conversion on your site.
Note: View-through conversions automatically exclude conversions from people who’ve also clicked your Search ads.

Conversions that have a preceding click (on search or display network) are no longer attributed to a view-through conversion, even if the converting user viewed a display ad before conversion. Instead, these are reported as click-through conversions in the many-per-click conversion column. This ensures that view-through conversions are strictly extra conversions that are driven by view-throughs on your display spend and are not already accounted in the conversion metrics.

Let us know if you have any questions about this or want to know more about implementing conversion tracking in your AdWords account. 

Jess

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Craig and Jessica O,

Thanks for wanting to explain this metric , some aspects from it are still kind of blurry to me.

An tiny update of terminology is required "many-per-click conversion column" has become "Conversions".

Two questions :

1) Is the view-through conversion metric still counting this ? Organic/direct conversions which occured by the steps

a) Paid ad impressions then

b) Organic/Direct conversion 

2) If a user had 10 conversions total  ( all time) , to simplify let's say only from a display campaign,  and the view-through conversion metric shows the number 20 how many conversions did that account record and from what possible sources ?

Let's say that user asks "How many total conversions did I have based on the metrics "conversions" in AdWords and "ViewThrough Conversions" also from adwords.

Let me know if the described problem is somehow an incomplete scenario , I have met such a question in the forum.

Thank you.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Hello Adrian,

Those are some great followup questions and I am happy to shed some light! A view through conversion is essentially triggered whenever a user is on the Display Network and sees your ad but does not click on it. The user later directly visits your website or finds it via an organic search or other referring site (basically any source other than Google / AdWords). After finding your site they reach your conversion page and therefore attribute the view through conversion to a particular Display publisher.

For a simplified example, if a user views an ad on the display network and does not click but the user later directly visits your website and converts, you would have 1 view-through conversion. If a user views your ad on the display network, but also clicks on one of your search creatives on the search network and then converts, this would report 1 (Converted Click), 1 (Conversion) and 0 (View Through Conversion). By default we now automatically de-dupliate view-through conversions.

A user could view a single ad impression then directly convert 10 different times and that single impression will generate 10 view through conversions so there are several different possibilities based on the users behavior for obtaining the view through conversions. I hope this clarifies some of your additional questions!

Best,

Craig

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Craig,

1) 

Unfortunately now I am more confused .  You wrote 

"For a simplified example, if a user views an ad on the display network, then clicks on one of your search creatives and then converts, the user would trigger a view-through-conversion and a regular conversion."

Jessica O wrote 

"Note: View-through conversions automatically exclude conversions from people who’ve also clicked your Search ads."

I thought this entire post was about explaining how this specific scenario (Impression, Click on Search Ad, Conversion) will no longer record a viewthrough conversion, it will record only a Converted Click.

How is it after all, what scenarios/sequences previously incremented the ViewThrough metric and now do not increment it ?

-------------------------------------------

2) 

Also from the message of Jessica O , I understand that only conversions triggered by a non-paid source will increment the View Through Metric ?

Quote from message 2 : "Conversions that have a preceding click (on search or display network) are no longer attributed to a view-through conversion, even if the converting user viewed a display ad before conversion." 

I though the ViewThrough metric is counted for conversions coming from Display, the only new thing in my mind was the default de-duplication with conversions from Search , which means only conversions from Search will not increment the ViewThrough metric.

I am just trying to keep up with this update, thank you if you have time to answer.

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your continued engagement in this post! I apologize for the confusion as I was a bit unclear on your initial questions and misread what you were looking for. I have adjusted my post to accurately reflect how we will de-duplicate the view-through conversions on the AdWords front end.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Good, point 1 is clear,

Now regarding point 2 , about conversions from Display, if they increment the ViewThrough metric , because this phrase makes me think that they don't :

"Conversions that have a preceding click (on search or display network) are no longer attributed to a view-through conversion, even if the converting user viewed a display ad before conversion. "

What would be the X and Y values in the following scenario :

a) User receives an impression from [Display Campaign 1] , user later generates 1 Converted Click and 1 Conversion from [Display Campaign 2 - remarketing].

A ViewThrough Conversion for a placement in [Display Campaign 1]  will be incremented by a number= X

b) User receives an impression from [Display Campaign 1] , user later generates 1 Converted Click and 3 Conversions from [Display Campaign 2 - remarketing].

A ViewThrough Conversion for a placement in [Display Campaign 1]  will be incremented by a number= Y .

What I understand is that if the news announced by Jessica O is correct, both X and Y will be 0 (zero)

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Hi Adrian,

I'll be jumping in to affirm that the X and Y view-through conversion values for your A and B scenarios should both be zero.

View-through conversions can only occur when a user is exposed to a creative on the Google Display Network and converts on the advertiser's site at a later time arriving organically, directly, or via referral, but has never clicked on any of the advertiser's other google cpc creatives, including Search or Display.

Because your scenarios A and B both present converted clicks and conversions, we can infer that this user has clicked on a google cpc Search and/or Display creative at some point before completing the conversion(s) on the advertiser's site.

The conditions under which a view-through conversion can occur are as follows:
1. a user is exposed to a google Display creative, but does not click on that Display creative.
2. a user does not click on any of the advertiser's other google Display and/or Search creatives before converting on the advertiser's site.
3. a user reaches the advertiser's website organically, directly or via referral to complete the conversion(s).

Hopefully this answers your question regarding the conditions under which a view-through conversion can occur and when they cannot.

Best wishes,
Jessica O.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

" but has never clicked on any of the advertiser's other google cpc creatives, including Search or Display"

So there is also a Display click de-duplication enabled by default.

Then someone should update the help file also since it is the source of my confusion.

It does not mention the exclusion from the View-Through count of "conversions after a click on a Display Ad" after an impression on another display Ad.

It only mentions the exclusions of conversions after a click on a Search Ad.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722023?hl=en

Keep in mind

View-through conversions automatically exclude conversions from people who’ve also clicked your Search ads."

Also after this fragment 

"View-through Conversion happens when a customer sees an image or rich media ad, then later completes a conversion on your site. "

Maybe you agree that Google should mention that the sources of conversions exclude paid conversions from Search and Display.

Thank you very much for the update, now my doubts are cleared.

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for your candid feedback! I highly recommend that you send it directly to the AdWords Help Center Team as well by submitting feedback under the 'How helpful is this article' section at the bottom of the resource to which you referred.

Our AdWords Help Center Team depends on users like you to let them know when there is unclear, incomplete, or incorrect information; we greatly appreciate your contribution!

Cheers,
Jessica O.