AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How are the ad IDs passed when a conversion is on the phone?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client converts a lot via chat and phone, and I can't tell how the phone rep can capture the ID if a shopper clicks through from an ad and then calls (or chats)...

Do they have to ask the shopper to tell them a string from the screen???

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How are the ad IDs passed when a conversion is on the phone?

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Short answer : no, not by asking client to read from the screen.

Long answer : let's read what is said here : link , expand the "Requirements" link and stop at the following paragraph 

"You can make code changes to all of your web pages. This lets you capture the GCLID parameter that’s appended to the destination URL when someone clicks through to your site from one of your ads."

In conclusion, your webmaster or website developer must change the forms that represent the leads in order to include the click ID called "GCLID" ( from google click ID) and to send it to you. This way when you talk to that person only by phone 3 days later to close a deal, you know what ID they had.

In short when the data arrives to you, like a form completed over email, besides the data from the lead ( phone no. , address, email, name, services required) it includes a field with the GCLID value.

[edit] Also more details about implementing if you expand "Step2 : enable your website and lead tracking system" [/end edit]

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Dan,

The short answer is this isn't possible. Without a form submission, you will have no way of determining the ID.

I've researched this quite a bit for our lead generation clients and it's just not a good fit especially considering that the leads are our conversions.

If we looked at tracking sales via AdWords, that would be a different story but not every business works that way.

Regardless of the business type, you'll need a form submitted to grab the ID in order to process/upload conversion data.

On the flip side, you may be able to track your converted calls and chats with some custom tracking/coding and some source data that would allow you to attribute a call/chat to AdWords or a specific campaign etc...It's still not a 1-1 situation where you will be guaranteed to know which exact click delivered the conversion.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adrian,

Thanks very much for the reply. I understand the form method; I meant with there is a call without a form. It seems like a screen hack would still work (maybe) though, provided the digits weren't long.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Tommy,

Thanks - this nailed it. I have B2B clients that forms work great for, and leads ARE our conversions as you said; we also have an ecom client that sells well, but the product it complicated and often converts by phone - my AdWords data is really poor and I'm looking for fixes.