AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How are conversions on our website recorded in terms of date?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If someone clicks on our ad, then days later comes back to our website directly (or via organic search results) and fills out a contact form (which we are tracking as a conversion), does the conversion get recorded as occurring on the date of the click or the date of the form submission?
Background: we have few conversions happening on weekends, but people are clicking the ad on the weekends at almost the same rate as m-f, I'm trying to decide if it would be better to only run ads during times when we are peaking on conversions, rather than going off of clicks which could potentially become conversions when potential customers decide to contact us during the week, possibly after browsing the site on the weekend.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Ben,

In AdWords, conversions are tied to the click - the ad, the keyword, and the time of the click.

AdWords has a report that can you:

1. Sign in to your AdWords account.
  2. Click the Tools tab, then select Attribution.
  3. In the menu on the left, click Time Lag.
  4. At the top of the table, click From last click. Make sure that the history window is set to the right time frame for your data.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6239119

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So if we record a conversion on Tuesday that means they clicked the ad on Tuesday?

http://screencast.com/t/8EH9SSze I'm a little confused by the data in the time lag report, at the top it says "days to conversion", i've selected from first click - that seems to mean that it takes 8 days from first click to conversion, but then at the bottom it says 6 of the 9 in this period occurred within less than 1 day.

Thank you for your help, hoping you might be able to help me understand a little better. 

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Ben, I would ignore the 8.05 figure. I have looked at other examples, and it doesn't seem to be an actual average of all conversions. 

(Yes I am saying that I think Google have got something wrong, or at least isn't describing the stat correctly).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben H
October 2016

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

8.05 days is the average. It just means that the one order that was "12+ days to conversion" was actually around 60 days to conversion. I would look at a longer date range to reduce the impact of outliers like that.

Jim Vaillancourt, AdWords Rising Star, LinkedIn
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ben, 

I would advise to stick to your current schedule especially if people are coming back after a certain number of days. if you only restrict to the days of conversions then you will have fewer number of conversions. as the people who convert on your site could be looking for a number of things before they convert. 

Regards,

zaby

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Ben H,

I just want to add here that Analytics will record on the date of the conversion, AdWords records on the date of the click. You may be able to use the 2 together to gain a little insight. That said, if weekend conversion are good, keep advertising on weekends. If conversions are low, consider lowering the budget or eliminating altogether.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords