AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How Does adwords work?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't understand how adwords works. I started a campaign yesterday- I guess my budget was too low so nothing showed up. I increased

my budget and then suddenly I got 750 views right away for one video. Then it went up to 1000. The other 2 videos got maybe 20 views each. 

Did I get those views but they weren't showing up due to budget? I got over 1000 views in one day. Also are these views real- I mean esp the in stream ones, or just people not clicking skip ad..

Also, the video that got the 1000 views, had 1300 impressions- but the other videos didn't have many. How do they do impressions 

1 Expert replyverified_user

How Does adwords work?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Samantha,

A limited budget will certainly hinder performance... whereas giving the campaign more will bring more. 

You can use this information to learn all about video advertising with AdWords. 

You can read more on measuring video performance with this information.

Kind Regards,

James

How Does adwords work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi James- 

Thanks for the response- reading that info doesn't help me get why I got those views suddenly-

I'm assuming they were accrued all day? that's what i don't get

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author samantha r
July

How Does adwords work?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Samantha,

You are welcome and I do understand.

However, to best help you I need you to have/read/use those links I provided. If you do not understand AdWords as a new user, the journey will be tough on you. Those are credible and concise on what you are doing and will encounter. AdWords is very complex and needs to be studied to master it. If you don't master it, it will master you!

With that said, There can be a reporting delay, so those views were likely there before they caught up to you seeing them.

Also, a new campaign can take 24 hours to get going... and then some hours more to adjust and use the budget. If I give a new account with a new campaign $10 daily... I may not see anything in the dashboard for 12 hours, although if I go to the Payments & billings dashboard I may very well see a payment to AdWords for $6.21 with actual performance. And then the next day "yesterday" will be totaled out and look different from what I saw with $10.47 spent. AdWords will learn from your account behavior, adjust and optimize... and then smooth out more and more with every day it is running.  

Also, if I give a campaign $5 daily, I might see very little action at all, sine the system knows it could spend that rather fast so it may let it ride until the next day and spend all $10 at once. 

Then I go and give give it $25 daily, which the system now sees as a a viable budget where it can throw solid action at your campaign. Keep in mind that the system works from a monthly budget and so it will throttle itself based on your daily budget X 30.4 days, which makes up your monthly budget. It takes time to inject your ads into the stream and it takes time to extract them from it, too. The system needs a viable budget to perform for you. 

Kind Regards,

James

How Does adwords work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James-

Thanks for the advice- again. And yes that does make some sense- as far as it all catching up to you and it being delayed. I do agree that adwords is yes kind of complicated and though i've read that info before it's still confusing. I don't get also how they choose how many impressions each ad gets- eg I have one that has 2000 impressions and one that has 200- I don't get why. But thanks for your help it does help me understand a little better...

How Does adwords work?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Samantha,

You are very welcome. 

The measuring video performance information should help with understanding the count. And impressions are when the system presented your video ad to your audience... views are when someone viewed it. 

Also, depending on the video content and length, each video/ad will perform very differently. The system merely presents your ad with no promise of actual views (the audience decides that). Sometimes a video is not well liked by the audience or the targeting is not optimized and it will not gain many views, ever. If the system presents your video ad lots of times and no one shows interest in it, they will likely use your budget to show another ad of yours... or the system can push a competitor ad that is more favored by the audience. If you see that your daily budget is not being exhausted, it's a strong indicator that you need to add in new ads, make adjustments to targeting or rework some component of your campaign. 

In essence, simply offering money and ads to AdWords is not the only component. Quality score, click rate, view rate, etc. ...engagement is very important. It also takes a new account roughly 30 days to be fully settled in, during which time you will want to adjust, as needed, for best performance. We monitor and adjust new accounts every 4-6 hours for the first 2 weeks until we see the daily budget fully used and quality actions. Sometimes it can take many weeks to get everything perfectly perfect. Some campaigns are rather easy and others fight along the way. 

Kind Regards,

James

How Does adwords work?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

oh ok- yes this is true- its just again- confusing for example- one video has now gotten 3800 views in 2-3 days, but it's saying my daily budget is limited. I added one more video- total of 6 videos. However, its saying my daily budget needs to be 18.00, for a total of 125.00...this ad ends in 4 days. I dont want to pay 125.00 to market my videos so i'm not sure what to do. I also dont think anyone is watching the video with 3,800 views...it's just weird.