AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

How Does Conversion tracking work?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi everyone,

For the past few weeks I have been trying to find a solution to track conversion without a thank you page.

I tried

1. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/User-Articles/AdWords-Conversion-code-with-Google-Tag-manage...

2. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Tracking-Reporting/Google-Adwords-conversion-tracking-withou...

The first really didnt work for me.  But the answer by petebrado did the trick, then I was wondering how the tracking really works. I know just the basic on how adwords uses third party cookies to track the success.

Could someone also please explain what happens in the petebrado method or can you post links where I can leran these things.  

I dont know whether is this the right place to ask but I coudnt find anywhere else, thanks.

Raj

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How Does Conversion tracking work?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Raj,

It works with a 3rd party cookie. That means the cookie goes to Google rather than the domain that shows in the address bar. Once that cookie is set on the local browser, it gets sent along with every request to that site. The cookie contains the data that allows Google to properly attribute the conversion.

The reason it works is the image is actually a script that runs on the Google server and returns an image. That script interprets the data in the cookie and records it in their database.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you so much for the explanation pete.

Raj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Conversion Tracking is a tool that shows you what happens after a customer clicks on your ads -- whether they purchased your product, signed up for your newsletter or filled out a form to receive more information.

By tracking these actions, known as "conversions," you'll know which ads, keywords and campaigns bring you business. This helps you invest more wisely in the best ones and ultimately, boost your return on investment (ROI).