AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Higher CTR & Higher position and Much Lower impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I keep getting the following situation. I assume this is down to the fact the original ad's have lots of history and so are allocated more impressions.

AD 1

49.25% 62 4,123 1.50%

AD 2

48.20% 74 4,035 1.83%        

AD 3

2.56% 7 214 3.27%

The question is. What do you do in this situation? Just leave the AD? Is there any reason other than history which make this happen?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Higher CTR & Higher position and Much Lower impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Matt, I'm not sure what the situation is with when these Ads were created, but if I were to take a guess I'd say your Ad Rotation setting is set to "Optimise for Clicks" (or possibly "Optimise for Conversions").

Was Ad 3 added after Ads 1 and 2?  Even if it wasn't, I'd say this is what's going on.  

Personally I tend to always use "Rotate Indefinitely".  I can't see the point in having multiple Ad Variations if you're then only going to show one of them...  I like to Rotate all the time, making changes to the Ads to improve performance.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sorry I meant to say this is setup as "Rotate Indefinitely".

Yes AD 3 is a lot newer than the other two. Been running for a few days.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

What time period is the data you've shown over?  Obviously, if the time period includes dates from before Ad #3 was created, they won't have had time to "even out" yet.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

From the time AD 3 was created. So after three days the stats were as quoted.

many thanks

Matt

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Matt, that's very odd, I've not seen the Rotate Indefinitely setting fail in this way before.  Can you check it against just one day, say yesterday (6th May)?  And please, double-check the setting.  I found two Campaigns for a client set to "Optimise for Clicks" the other day and I never use that setting so it's good to check.

Jon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah its an odd one alright. I don't know if its something to do with the dest URL. Its different from the other ads.

From yesterday

AD 1

7.10% 17 421 4.04%

AD 2

45.07% 50 2,672 1.87%

AD 3

47.82% 26 2,835 0.92%

Campaign settings: Rotate indefinitely: Show lower performing ads more evenly with higher performing ads and do not optimise

It getting quite annoying having a ad with much better CTR but I cannot test it properly.

Any idea's. I'm temped to pause the other ad's.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Sorry the display URL is different, not the destination URL...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have this on another AD group.

It seems to be if the display URL is new (history with another dist URL in other ads) and the CTR is significantly better. Looks as if Google are somehow throttling the impressions.

Anyone had experience with this?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi Matt, I have to say this is pretty weird.  I've just checked through a number of my client Accounts and while I'm seeing the usual minor variations (a few % either way), there's nothing like the sort of difference you're seeing here.

I'll escalate this to see if we can't get to the bottom of it.  I hate to have to say this but can you confirm:

1.  All these Campaigns are set to "Rotate Indefinitely".

2.  All the Ads in question have been unedited for the period of the data shown.

Jon