AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

High CTR with Low Percent Served

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

The top performing ads (CTR around 20%) in my campaign all have low impressions and clicks.

This isn't because the associated ad group has obscure keywords, but merely because their ads are only being shown around 0.05% of the time compared to the other ads in the ad ground.

This makes little sense to me because my campaign is optimized to show for clicks- so wouldn't the ads with the highest CTR be showed more? 

Beyond this, I would like to show which ads are the top performers. This (for me) would mean the highest CTR, But I'd like to only include ads that have at least 25% served rate. 

You can't seem to filter by % served in the interface, and you can't download reports that include % served. Anyone have a way around this? I'm sure many others are in the same situation. 

Thanks!

Sachin

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sachin M
September 2015

Re: High CTR with Low Percent Served

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sachin M,

With rotation set to optimized to show for clicks new ads don't get much of a chance. I'd recommend setting rotation to even for a while so the new test gets impressions and clicks, then revert to optimize for clicks after that period.

Choose this under Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping:
Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize
May be appropriate if you optimize ads using your own data.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sachin M
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sachin M,

With rotation set to optimized to show for clicks new ads don't get much of a chance. I'd recommend setting rotation to even for a while so the new test gets impressions and clicks, then revert to optimize for clicks after that period.

Choose this under Ad delivery: Ad rotation, frequency capping:
Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimize
May be appropriate if you optimize ads using your own data.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Sounds good Pete. I will experiment with even rotation and see how it effects my results.

Do you have any advice on creating a report that shows Best Performing Ads?
CTR is the KPI here, but I'd like to add a couple of filters to that too, since CTR doesn't tell the whole story.

For example: % served over 25%, Ad Position 1-3

I realize I bundled two different questions in one. Sorry about that!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Sachin M,

I"m afraid I can't help you there. I don't use scripts so I'm really not sure what you can do. Maybe one of the other contributors can help here.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete, was wondering if you can tell me why Adwords doesn't allow rotating evenly anymore? The option is there but it says in brackets (no longer supported). Is there anyway to prevent new ads from beings served at such a low % with this no longer being available?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Quartier 2,

It's best to start a new thread with your question so more TC's will see your question.

Google says they've switched to AI for determining which of your ads in a group to show. You should always have at least 3 ads in each ad group for this to take effect. Even when your ad shows 0 impressions, that doesn't mean it hasn't entered any auctions for placement.

Pete