AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Hi all I'm new here but been working on AdWords for a while.

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all I'm new here but been working on AdWords for a while. I was wondering if there's an easy answer to my question. As I am constantly watching my AdWords results where my budgets are always fixed and so are the conversions. Say I'm getting roughly fifty conversions a day, it may fluctuates, high as 55 and low as 45 but my average is always 50. What would be the odd thing is that once in while I will only get 20 conversions a day or less that day and next day be back to my usual rate, budgets are not constraint and there's no logical or seasonable reason for this phenomenon. This is not happening often still where should I look to try figure out a possible underlying cause?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Hi all I'm new here but been working on AdWords for a while.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Joel,

With out knowing more about your business I would suggest looking at Google Trends for your keywords. 

www.google.com/trends

I personally have found my conversion seem to wax and wane in correlation to the keyword trends.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I don't think trends are the reason. I was wondering if the answer my lie in the competitors behaviours say my competitor my raise his budget once in a while and grabs a bigger share. Is there a way to see the competition of a keyword at any given day and hour?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi joel, I think you'll have to resign yourself to the fact that this just happens sometimes.  I see this in pretty much all of my client Accounts.  You have good days, you have bad days, you have medium days.

Sometimes you can spot broad trends that can come together like peaks and troughs in a wave system and that can explain things but you have to look quite hard.  For example, let's say your average is 50 conversions but typically on a Friday you'll only make 40.  If it's sunny outside you tend to lose another 10 conversions and if it's the last week of the month you lose another 10.  Bingo!  On a sunny last Friday of the month you'll only make 20 conversions.

An extreme example, I know, but it's common to find that variations like this are down to more than 1 factor so that when you get 2 or more factors coinciding the effect becomes magnified.

It's worth looking for daily fluctuations in sales as it might be worth putting in some bid adjustments if the data supports it.  Make sure you look at a long enough period to make some solid judgements though - I really wouldn't make daily bid adjustments on anything less than 2 months worth of data...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Jon. Have not though of that, sometimes "external" factors outside the Google platforms, such as the sun and rain may also effect results.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel W
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Joel, do you mean that your CTR fluctuates? If your conversion rate percentage is fluctuating, and not your click through rate,  then the cause for this is taking place after you've already won the auction and can't be attributed to a competitor.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Joel W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

... and sometimes there's no reason at all...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It is conversions which fluctuate CTR rates are the same.You are right the cause then may be on our end.