AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Help me understand

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm not understanding key words, for example:

You check keyword for horses and you find low competition but monthly searches of 5,000,000

Check keyword for virtual horses and you find medium competition but monthly searches of 1,900

Why is horses low competition with 5,000,000 searches?

Thanks

David

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help me understand

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi David,

You seem to be mixing up 2 different terms.

When we talk about searches it refers to how many Google users enter a search query in the Search Engine that matches your specific keyword. 

In contrast, when we talk about competition it refers to your fellow advertisers who bid on the same specific keyword that you do bid on. 

For short: Google users make searches while advertisers can compete with you.

Hope that's clear.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Lakatos,
I must be a little slow, I don't see a mix up.
When google users search for horses 5,000,000 times a month why is the fellow adverts competition low?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author davidleeslist
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Does your question focus on the problem why your fellow advertisers don't bid on a particular keyword when millions of users make searches that match it?

In general the answer is that the users who make those searches do not carry commercial intent. A lack of commercial intent would make it impossible for you to monetize your efforts. It would take some research work to find out why your particular keyword is perceived by advertisers that way, however, that's probably based on their former experience. 

You may go against prejudice of course, however, be very cautious. In most case you'll find it's justified. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author davidleeslist
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David,

Horses is a pretty broad topic. If competition is low, I would say other advertisers have tried this keyword without a lot of success and stopped using it.

Your keyword is horses. Are these horses for sale? Are you offering boarding? Do you sell saddles, bridles? ARe these real horses, or sculptures or paintings? That's what I'm getting at there. "Horses" is an awfully broad target.

AdWords says "bid on keywords", but that doesn't necessarily mean bid on individual words. Most advertisers are better of bidding on phrases-more than one word to help qualify your prospects. A "keyword" in AdWords most often means a "key phrase".

Hope this helps, Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Lakatos and petebardo
I think "experience" is the key here. Which is why I need to ask these dumb questions.
I will let this soak in and be back to close.
Thanks again.