AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Help! Tracking AdWords traffic within Marketo (using UTMs)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi all,

We are having quite the issue tracking PPC traffic in Marketo, and I am hoping someone can help, as I am sure others are in a similar situation.

Marketo Support has explained that apparently UTM parameters are not tracking past the original landing page, and that custom code would be required if we want to track conversions on deeper pages.

Has anyone had this same problem, or have any thoughts on how we might remedy it? I find it extremely hard to believe that there aren't customers who are tracking PPC with UTM parameters successfully, without custom code.

Note: we use hidden fields to capture the source, medium, and campaign parameters.

Thanks so much in advance!
Sarah
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help! Tracking AdWords traffic within Marketo (using UTMs)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sarah
Marketo is correct. I speak from experience here.

This is actually a two pronged issue.
AdWords doesn't actually use traditional UTM parameters in the URL when auto tracking is enabled (which is normal). So, if you're using auto tracking, you'll have to disable it in AdWords. However, this means that you'll also have to MANUALLY tag ALL of your URLs in your AdWords ads. Depending on the size of your account, this can be a challenge.

The second part of this issue is that when you disable auto tagging and you manually tag your AdWords ads with UTM parameters, your website MUST pass these parameters from page to page if that's what you want to track. This is purely a tech problem and your webmaster will need to ensure that the parameters are passed to each page. This isn't ideal though as you'll get VERY messed up stats in GA if you're using that. Marketo really is only designed for a single landing page with a lead capture.

How we've worked around the latter is to use a single page app. Essentially a website on a single page with tabs that load different content yet the URL (and of course the UTM parameters) remain intact.

If you're capturing the UTM params in hidden fields, that's actually half the work done. You'll just need to get your web developer to make sure that they're passed to each page. I cannot advise on how to do that as there are literally hundreds of thousands of different server and website setups. However, you WILL NEED CUSTOM CODE for this, or at least a modification to your web server (which is likely the best option).

Hope that's given you some ideas or at least pointed you in the right direction.