AdWords
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Help! Receiving countless wrong-number calls.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello:

I'm reaching out on behalf of my employer. We have an AdWords account for our business. For the past few weeks, we have been receiving more wrong number calls than we are receiving calls from actual customers. The callers tell us they Google seach "ABC Company Customer Service" and when they dial the number, they get through to us instead. Sometimes the number they dialed is a Google Voice number. Sometimes the number is our actual main number. 

Level3 has advised us they have a whole department related to this issue for users running ad campaigns on Google and Bing but that there is nothing they can do about it because the numbers are forwarded to us on Google's end with the assistance of bandwidth.com. It seems that Google assigns phone numbers to certain ads in an attempt to track activity. I'm not sure if the numbers have been double assigned or if old ads are running, but this is becoming a serious inconvenience for our business. We are talking anywhere from 5-20 calls per day where the callers think they are calling another company and end up on the other end of my phone. I'm also unsure why our actual published number would be coming up in Google search for another company. 

Please help, Google. We don't want these calls forwarded to us. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Kerri,

You say "Sometimes the number is our actual main number."

Could it be that your main number used to belong to someone else, and an organic listing for that number has started ranking?

If the problem was with the Google forwarding number, it should always be a forwarded call.

Do you use call conversion data in AdWords to make decisions? If not, you can turn off the call forwarding.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

I agree with @RobSkelton. When it comes to Google call forwarding numbers this can happen - Numbers are assigned at the adgroup level, and if an adgroup falls below the performance threshold, then the number could be "reassigned". However, if you're not getting 5-20 reported phone AdWords call forwarding number phone calls per day, then there's no way the AdWords call forwarding extension could be the only problem. So, like Rob said, if you are not actually using call forwarding data or conversion for your AdWords advertising, then opt out of counting calls as conversions, and you will eliminate AdWords as the potential culprit.

Tom

Re: Help! Receiving countless wrong-number calls.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I've advised my boss to turn off call forwarding in AdWords. I'm not
certain if he has done that yet.
But yes; about 1/3 of the wrong number callers told me that they searched
for whatever business phone number and that the number given by google is
our main number.

--
Kerri Green

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have opted out of call reporting as of last week and we are still receiving wrong number calls. How long should I expect it to take for the forwarding to stop?

Thanks 

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Hi Kerri,

Like I said, it sounds like this is an organic search problem, not an AdWords problem.

Try a Google search for your main phone number and see if it appears in reference to a different business.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Just want to go on record and note that this is still an issue after turning off call reporting and working with several people over at AdWords to adjust keywords and add negative keywords and other tweaks. 

I have started keeping a list of the businesses the callers are trying to reach and adding the names to our negative keywords. 

Nothing has helped as of yet and whenever I speak to the folks at Google they act like they've never heard this issue before. I have trouble believing that as there are people all over this forum complaining of this issue. 

Just stop forwarding calls to us, Google. 

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

This is sounding like it's not a Google issue. At least, definitely not an AdWords issue in any way. If you are no longer showing any call forwarding numbers with your ads, then these wrong number calls have to be coming from somewhere else.

Tom

Re: Help! Receiving countless wrong-number calls.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Where do I verify? I'm very NOT familiar with the interface.

We are still getting all these calls for Uber, amazon, Google, straight
talk, metro pcs, cricket wireless, etc. and when I ask them what number
they dialed, reverse search shows they are VOIP numbers from Google.

We have SIP phone service and our provider has checked everything on their
end. We are a telecom company so we do know a little something about this.
I'm not trying to doubt you... but i'm 98% sure this is a Google issue.
I just think perhaps whoever walked me through turning off call tracking
didn't do a thorough job.

Badged Google Partner
# 10
Badged Google Partner

Call extensions can be applied at multiple levels of the account. There can also be multiple call extensions. Start with your ad extensions tab, at the account level. Then go to call extensions. There are two panes - The top is the reporting pane, and it will show you how many call extensions you have, and what kind of impressions those extensions are receiving, at the account level. If you have disabled call extensions, and you are seeing any data there for the last week, then some call extension(s), somewhere, is still active.

In the edit pane below, you have three different account levels you can view, which can all have call extensions. Check the account, campaign, and adgroup tabs, and you should be able to find any call extensions that are still active. Remove those, and you should be sure that you are no longer accruing any call forwarding call impressions, or calls.

Note: The new interface is different, if you are using that, switch back to the old interface so we are all on the same page. Smiley Happy

Now, if you still want to show call extensions, but you don't want to use call forwarding call tracking - Once you get all the old call extensions sorted - Apply one call extension to the entire account (assuming only one phone number for the company), and make sure that "count calls as conversions" (call forwarding) is disabled. Now you should only ever have one call extension, in one place, and you can more easily manage your call extensions.

It's also entirely possible your business is not clear in the ads, your targeting is triggering ads for competitor terms, and users are calling you mistaking one business for the other. That's not going to change if you drop call tracking, as long as you are showing a call extension of some kind, and people are calling directly from the ads - Especially if you are using call only ads. Disabling call tracking just means you won't have any AdWords UI data to compare to your phone logs. 

Tom