AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Help! Can't access conversion actions

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, Im new to adwords, and I'm trying to setup call conversions. everything is working great with the number being populated on the website, but for some reason, when I edit the ad extension, and click on advanced options, and select which conversion action to select, the only one that is available is "calls from ads". I DO have other conversion actions made, but they don't seem to be listed under this menu. Please help me. I created a whole new conversion action, and that still isn't showing up under the menu to select the proper action. Thank You for your help guys.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dustin D
September 2015

Re: Help! Can't access conversion actions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

HI Dustin,

Ok, I think something big is missing here.  

There are two things we seem to be discussing here: Ad Extensions and Website Call Conversions, from what I can tell, while you need to have at least one call extension in your account that is using a Google forwarding phone number, that is not connected to your website call conversions.

Call Extensions

These are ad extensions that get added to your text ads.  They are not associated with your website call conversions.  Google just wants you to have one running in your account, using Google call forwarding, in order to use website call conversions, but they are not linked.

If you want to edit the length of time associated with a call extension and the associated call conversion, go to that conversion action in Tools > Conversions and edit the time in the conversion itself. You should look at the name of the conversion from the "Edit call extension" dialog box.  Ashish posted a screenshot earlier.  Look for that conversion name in your list of conversions on the Tools > Conversions page and edit it there.

If you want to create a new call conversion, you do that from the Tools > Conversions tab as well but you must choose "Phone calls" and then "Calls from ads using call extensions" in order to associate this new conversion with a call extension.  When looking at your list of conversions (Tools > Conversions) the ones that can be associated with call extensions (ad extensions tab) will be listed as "Calls from ads" in the source column. If you want to create a new one, you can and then you can edit your call extensions to use this conversion action.

Website Call Conversions

Now, if you want to edit the time associated with a call that is being tracked on your website, through website call conversions, you need to have, as I believe you do, a separate conversion action set up, that should be listed as "Calls from website" as the source on the Tools > Conversions tab.  This conversion type will give you code to install on your site etc...it's very different than a regular call conversion type.  This is created by choosing "Phone calls" and "Calls to a Google forwarding number on your website" if you're creating a new conversion on the Tools > Conversions page.  Again, if you want to edit the length of time for this particular call conversion, you can simply edit the website call conversion right there.

You do not, nor do I believe you can, actually associate an ad extension, call extensions in this case, with a 'calls from website' conversion action.

There really shouldn't have been a need to create new conversion actions if you're just looking to edit the time before considering a call a conversion, both of these options are editable.

I hope this clears things up a bit, but if you still have issues, please let us know.  

-Tommy

I'm adding in some screenshots that may help.

These are two different Conversion Actions - One is for Calls from ad extensions and the other is for calls from website - note the different source column.

ConversionActions.png 

Here is a call extension edit dialog box - you'll see that my conversion action in this call extension matches the conversion action from my Tools > Conversions screenshot above listed with the source 'calls from ads'.

callextnesionedit.png

Here is the edit screen when I clicked on my 'Call Extension Conversions' conversion action from the first screenshot.  You can edit the time here.

CallExtensionConversionEdit.png

And finally, the 'calls from website' conversion can also be edited the same way.

CallsFromWebsite.png

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey Dustin, 

This article provides a perfect breakdown of what you need to do to preoperly setup conversion tracking for phone calls: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095883?hl=en

I could guess based on what you wrote that the issue may be that you failed to properly insert the javacode on your click-to-call button to record on-website conversions. 

Joshua, Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dustin,

When you edit the ad extension (call extension in your case) and click on Advanced options, it will ONLY have "Calls from Ads". If you want to see other Conversion actions, if you have created, then go to Tools > Conversions (from top Navigation menu) or click on "Manage Conversion Actions" which is available right next to "Calls from Ads" when you edit Ad Extension > Advanced option. See snapshot below.

conversion-action.png

Regards,
Ashish

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Dustin,

If you followed the steps that were outlined in the help docs that Joshua linked, you should have a conversion that looks like this under Tools > Conversions:

websitecallconversions.png

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi PPCBossman, I have successfully created the action, and it shows up under the actions menu that you have pictured above, but it does not show up under the conversion action drop down box when I go to edit the ad extension.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Ok, maybe I don't get it...why are.you editing the extension? What is it that you need to do?

-Tommy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
One of the reasons for the conversion actions is to edit the call time in order for the call to be accepted as a conversion. In order to do this you need to make a new conversion action (which I have done). Now I want to link that to my ad extensions. But until you link your custom made conversion action, the ad extension is using the default conversion action? Which means that its only 60 seconds of talk time for it to register as a conversion. Am I correct?

So that is why I made another conversion action? To edit these settings. But you must link these new settings with the ad extensions? So you must be able to select the proper action under the advnaced options, but it's not showing any custom made actions. It's only showing the default action, which is "Calls From Ads".

Or perhaps I'm not understand how everything is interconencted, or how things are working together?

So basically, In short, I created a new conversion action (with a talk time of about 160 seconds to make it count as a conversion).

Then I edited the ad extensions to try and use that conversion action, but its not showing up in the drop down list. The only option showing up is "Calls from Ads" which that in itself is a conversion action, but it's the default one. I don't have a need for the default one.

How do I get my ad extensions to use the corrent conversion action? Do I even NEED to set that up or does the ad extension automatically use the proper one? I'm so confused. Or I'm just not understand how this works and it's going waaay over my head. lol

That's the best I can explain it, sorry. Thank You for your help.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dustin D
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

HI Dustin,

Ok, I think something big is missing here.  

There are two things we seem to be discussing here: Ad Extensions and Website Call Conversions, from what I can tell, while you need to have at least one call extension in your account that is using a Google forwarding phone number, that is not connected to your website call conversions.

Call Extensions

These are ad extensions that get added to your text ads.  They are not associated with your website call conversions.  Google just wants you to have one running in your account, using Google call forwarding, in order to use website call conversions, but they are not linked.

If you want to edit the length of time associated with a call extension and the associated call conversion, go to that conversion action in Tools > Conversions and edit the time in the conversion itself. You should look at the name of the conversion from the "Edit call extension" dialog box.  Ashish posted a screenshot earlier.  Look for that conversion name in your list of conversions on the Tools > Conversions page and edit it there.

If you want to create a new call conversion, you do that from the Tools > Conversions tab as well but you must choose "Phone calls" and then "Calls from ads using call extensions" in order to associate this new conversion with a call extension.  When looking at your list of conversions (Tools > Conversions) the ones that can be associated with call extensions (ad extensions tab) will be listed as "Calls from ads" in the source column. If you want to create a new one, you can and then you can edit your call extensions to use this conversion action.

Website Call Conversions

Now, if you want to edit the time associated with a call that is being tracked on your website, through website call conversions, you need to have, as I believe you do, a separate conversion action set up, that should be listed as "Calls from website" as the source on the Tools > Conversions tab.  This conversion type will give you code to install on your site etc...it's very different than a regular call conversion type.  This is created by choosing "Phone calls" and "Calls to a Google forwarding number on your website" if you're creating a new conversion on the Tools > Conversions page.  Again, if you want to edit the length of time for this particular call conversion, you can simply edit the website call conversion right there.

You do not, nor do I believe you can, actually associate an ad extension, call extensions in this case, with a 'calls from website' conversion action.

There really shouldn't have been a need to create new conversion actions if you're just looking to edit the time before considering a call a conversion, both of these options are editable.

I hope this clears things up a bit, but if you still have issues, please let us know.  

-Tommy

I'm adding in some screenshots that may help.

These are two different Conversion Actions - One is for Calls from ad extensions and the other is for calls from website - note the different source column.

ConversionActions.png 

Here is a call extension edit dialog box - you'll see that my conversion action in this call extension matches the conversion action from my Tools > Conversions screenshot above listed with the source 'calls from ads'.

callextnesionedit.png

Here is the edit screen when I clicked on my 'Call Extension Conversions' conversion action from the first screenshot.  You can edit the time here.

CallExtensionConversionEdit.png

And finally, the 'calls from website' conversion can also be edited the same way.

CallsFromWebsite.png

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Awesome. I understand now. Google made it a little difficult to understand at first. Let me just clarify to make sure I understand 100%.

So the ad extension tracking is SEPERATE from the website tracking. I though they were both apart of each other. So when a customer clicks on my ad, and goes to my website, it would still use the tracking from the ad extension code. But I guess that is why you have to install the Javascript code on the website if you want to track the calls from that.

So I have to create a new conversion action that only deals with the calls from my ads, and then I will be able to add THAT action into the ad extension directly. Makes sense now. Thanks! Smiley Happy I just tried to do exactly that and it's working. You are awesome. Thank you for your time everyone, I appreciate your help. Take Care, God Bless.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Dustin,

Yeah, not everything is black and white with AdWords, even with loads of help docs etc...

Glad we could assist you in getting this sorted out.

Come on back if you have any further questions or concerns as you continue your journey.

-Tommy