AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google resizing uploaded image ads?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Did anyone notice some of their image ads (not created through Ad gallery) appearing in other formats than those uploaded? 

I noticed one of my FLASH banners on a website in the format 468x60, and it leads to the landing page of my remarketing campaign. I only have that banner in formats 300x250, 160x600 and 728x90.

I couldn't find anything through the official channels, only a tweet from  that Google has announced that in the future they will automatically enable resizing ad formats to all available formats (see link below):

"Auto Resizing for Display Ads

The Google Display Network (GDN) now features a staggering number of ad sizes, and advertisers had to work with their design teams to create an ad in every single size in order to capture inventory. Now, Google will only require ads in 3 different sizes and they promise to automatically resize those 3 ad sizes as needed."

http://www.acquisio.com/blog/mobile/google-adwords-announces-new-mobile-ad-focus-moments

Why there hasn't been any official announcement on the AdWords blog?

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google resizing uploaded image ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Anja,

I believe that this post originally did mention the feature but it looks like it might have been edited since then as I can't find it on the page. If you compare the structure of that Acquisio article you can see that it's based on the original blog post.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee
The auto resizing feature was part of several announcements made during the AdWords performance summit on May 5th (see this tweet: https://twitter.com/adwords/status/595637580793815040)

That said, I don't think it works for Flash ads.

In any case, why is that an issue? What kind of flash banners are these? Were they created via the Ad Gallery?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Maxime,

the banners were created by client, not via Ad Gallery. It is not an issue, but if we wanted the banners to run in additional formats, we would have created them in those formats too. We decided to go with the formats mentioned above because of their visibility and outspread. In this case banners would get additional impressions (and cost) in smaller formats, and that is not what we want.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
December 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee
I checked and I can confirm that the auto resizing feature does *not* apply to Flash or HTML5 at this point.
I'm not sure what the ad you saw was: are you sure if was an AdWords ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I am sure it was an AdWords ad.

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
I'm having the same problem with a couple of clients. I can't find any official statement regarding the "Auto-resizing for display" anywhere from Google, even on Help Center, yet, this seems to be live without any notice or disable option.

Some say that if you have banners ads covering 300x250, 728x90 and 160x600, Google will automatically resize them.

Maxime, Is there any official documentation? Can you point us out?

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Rising Star
# 8
Rising Star
Guys? Anyone!?

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
Hi Anja and leandrofm,

Wanted to follow up on this thread; are you both still seeing your Flash or HTML5 ads resized? I did some digging, and it does not look like this auto resizing feature affects either of those types of ads at this time.

If you are still seeing resized ads, please respond here, and I'll send you an email so we can take a closer look.

Thanks!
Cassie

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6223297?hl=en

"1. When possible, use sizeless formats like text or HTML5 templates. When using image formats, upload in HD sizes and be sure to include at least 300x250, 728x90, and 160x600.
Why: This helps maximize your reach across devices and formats. When you provide image ads in those three dimensions, we’ll automatically resize them to fill more placements on the Google Display Network."