AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google "Will not admit to invalid clicking from mobile ads"

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

This is what I got when I tryed to get help for some invalid clicks I got ,, see below 

The run down --- turned my ad on , in 3 hours it cost me $228 , this is a mobile ad only, for mobile users , so when they do a search on a mobile they need to click the number to call, you cant see the web site, it just connects you. You see the number you click then your phone says "call number ***?" 

In 3 hours I got 9 clicks, 3 from PC and 6 from mobiles, not 1 call came threw. So 6 times someone clicked on the number and I was charged, and 6 times they click no don’t call... I asked Google help, and they said it was normal.

6 clear invalid clicks in 3 hours, and that just one adgroup, on advarage its 30% of my daily budget sometimes more.. See how helpfull they were .. see below 

Google

15:03

You are now connected to Prateek Srivastava. Please type your message and hit 'Enter' to send.

You are now off the record

Learn more Cancel

Prateek Srivastava

15:03

Thank you for reaching out to Google AdWords. My name is Prateek.Give me one second to check on your issue and pull up your account, in case you haven't already specified it please provide details of your concern.

me

15:06

I turned on an adgroup that normally we don’t turn on any more because of invalid clicking, and again it was hit hard $228 in a few hours, with no calls? It a mobile ad for people with mobiles that need to click to call, so when I had a look at where the clicks come from its mostly from mobile click to call clicks, so how dose this happen ? if they click they need to call, but the phone has no missed called and no connected calls. SO this has cost me $228 if less then 3 hours with no ROI at all, the problem is that unless this can be addresses and the invalid clicks filtered, its impossible for me to advertise on adword. 

The campaign is = Mobile Ads  - ad group = local , 

How can this be fixed, it should only change when they click and get connected

?

hello

This Chat is no longer off the record

me

15:08

are you still their ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:08

yes

i'm just checking your account

which campaign are we talking about

me

15:09

The campaign is = Mobile Ads - ad group = *******

me

15:12

have you found it ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:12

i see that you got 8 clicks in the past 30 days

me

15:13

no, I only turned the ads on today for 3 hours, they have been off the rest of the time

your date range is wrong

Prateek Srivastava

15:14

6 clicks for just today

me

15:14

why dose ny side say 9 ?

for tady

Prateek Srivastava

15:16

out of the Total 8 clicks for today

Mobile devices with full browsers : 6

me

15:17

yes , thats right, action was click to call

so why did we not receive 1 phone call ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:18

when someone clicks on Click to Call

they see your number

it totally depends on them

whether they call you or nto

me

15:18

no thats not true, they see the number all the time its a call extension

When they click the call extension it asks to call the number

Prateek Srivastava

15:19

correct

me

15:21

So they click the number, you then change me , and they click no, creating invalid click

on a mobile you need to click the number to create a click,, So the system seens to have a fault, because they click and I have been charged, by people that don't want to call at all ? 6 times in 3 hours 6 out of 9

what can I do to stop this ?

Can I get a refund for this invalid clicking ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:23

you need to click on the call button

hence you get once Click

and the phone no. get's displayed on the Mobile screen

me

15:25

but no call was connected, out of the 6 clicks, so when they clicked and the mobile phone asks do you want to call, they must have pressed no, but still I was charged

This is not a fair click at all,

What am I left to do ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:26

now its' totally his discretion kindly check if you have got the correct no. mentioned in there

me

Should I buy 10 phones and do the same back to the competition to make it fair, must I do this to have a chance at advertising on adword, or do you have a way to stop this invalid clicking

Prateek Srivastava

it's always have been click to call

me

15:27

can I get a refund ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:27

i wish if there could be a possibility to provide you a refund

however, in this scenario

me

15:29

why can they not be refunded, they were charged in an unfair way, how can you justify the request of the money ?

we still have not touched on how to stop this,

we still have not spoken about the fact that 6 clicks were created by a person that didi not want to connect , and just wanted to cost a click,

Prateek Srivastava

15:30

this is the normal procedure

me

15:32

its not normal to charge for invalid clicking is it ?

What happened to "Google takes invalid clicking very seriously" ?? you do not reflect this google statement

How can I protect my account from this ?

Do I have to do they same back ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:33

it is not a invalid click

provided the fact that they were legitimate users

which searched for your Ad

me

15:33

but they did not want to connect, they can see the number and they still click and they they select no to calling, How is this valid, and why is the call not charged after the connection ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:34

there is no charge for the call

me

15:35

that dose not answer the question.

Prateek Srivastava

the click to call would continue to work in the same manner

i recommend you to pause this campaign if does not suit your requirements

me

Their was a charge for the click that was not connected?

Prateek Srivastava

15:36

we never charged you for the Call connection

it is only for the Click

which we have provided

me

15:40

you offer no solution, your comments are non helpful, your polices are un ethical and non justified. To charge for clearly invalid clicking and they deny the point is outrages

The click never get connected, that makes it invalid, the clicker has no intent to use the service or call, they don't even need to click,

Answer my question above, do I now need to do click fraud to compete and make this a fair playing field ?

Is that the only option you leave me

I guess that would suit Goggle more, more money for you,

Prateek Srivastava

15:40

kindly understand

it's not about the money

to be honest with you its' about the clicks that we promise you

me

15:41

*** So tell me how do I stop getting ripped off, if I want to use your service ? ,,, you said turn the ads off, that tells me their is only one way not to get ripped off and that not to use the service, si that your best advice ??????

that was not a click, that is click fraud

Prateek Srivastava

you can also activate conversion to track who all clicked on your Ad

me

I have my call recorded, and no calls came threw

Prateek Srivastava

15:43

i'm not talking about call recording

me

15:45

I will be posting this conversation on a number of blogs across the web, this is outrages, I will let everyone know, how helpful you haven't been, how you deliberate refuse to except that the clicks are invalid, and to allow other to know how they too can get charged and how to commit click fraud for their competitors , its only fair we all now the known issues if they cost us money

This is my last effort to ask you to escalate this issue to your supervisor and ask for a credit, swell as a solution to this problem, so I can use your service without getting ripped off

Prateek Srivastava

15:45

in case you think you are getting invalid clicks against Click to Call

me

15:46

mmmm you think ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:47

you can probably choose not to use ad extensions(call)

me

15:48

That will invite invalid clicks without the means to track them, what a brilliant idea ?

Prateek Srivastava

15:52

I am just trying to help you here because being a user you must also understand that you don't necessarily call on every ad that you click.

It is a standard user behavior.

Let me call you and discuss this if that's ok with you?

me

15:53

You do when you click the number to call, its seems clear that its invalid if you back out at that stage, and you should only chafe one they confirm, then its fonts as a real click. That’s not the point, you will not admit that 6 people in 3 hours did the same thing, and you see that as normal clicking

Prateek Srivastava

15:57

I see your point.

Let me help you raise an investigation about the same.

We have a special team which can help you with invalid clicks.

Would you be ok raising an investigation for the same?

me

15:58

Do that and email me, then refund me , and provide me a way to stop this , so I can use your service

Prateek Srivastava

15:59

https://support.google.com/adwords/contact/click_quality

Prateek Srivastava has entered text

----- Conclusion -----

Maybe its a business for a team of people to start a click fraud team , and charge to know your competitors off, that would be far cheaper and make more since then paying hundreds a day and getting no support.. This is my 100th time with the support, I have never received a refund, I have only received $46 in invalid click that were filtered, That was the best in 10 years, everyday I spend $50-100 on invalid clicks 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google "Will not admit to invalid clicking from mobile ads&qu

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there;
We don't have the tools to verify;
I am escalating the case to google. Support will get in touch with you.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Prateek,

Apparently, you have a different definition of invalid clicks than Google. In a click-to-call campaign, you are charged per click. The user is not required to complete that call. What you appear to have is people interested enough in your product/service to click, but not enough interest to place the call. That does not make them invalid clicks.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@petebardo ;

I don't think the OP disputes that he should be charged per "click to call".  He said that the calls were not connected, thought clicked.: >>" ...if they click they need to call, but the phone has no missing calls and no connected call..."

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Google "Will not admit to invalid clicking from mobile ads&am

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Guys,

Here's what happens when you click on a click-to-call ad: the click gets counted and your phone app is activated with the phone number prefilled. But it doesn't actually dial as a cause from the AdWords click. The user has to do that themselves. A click on a click-to-call ad does not always result in a call. That's likely why the Googler said this was normal.

I understand the concern, he is apparently bidding over $25 per click. Given the results, I think that bid may be too high, but we don't know what market he is in. The bid may need to be that high to get a good placement.

I'm suggesting he work on his ad copy, make it more compelling. And perhaps tighen up the themes in the ad groups. People are willing to click on the ads, but not interested enough to place the call. I don't do much click-to-call. I really don't know what the disconnect may be between the click and the call. No additional information is given the user after clicking. The advertiser may have more success sending mobile users to a web site, rather than place a call. The web site can provide more information on the product/service and perhaps motivate the user more to place that call.

I also realize the advertiser has quite a high bid for CPC, and is spending a lot of money, but 6 mobile clicks and 3 desktop clicks seems like way too few to make any meaningful decisions about the campaign performance.

I am really only addressing the invalid clicks. Google does not consider a click from a mobile device on a click-to-call ad that does not result in a call to be invalid on that basis alone. Invalid clicks are multiple clicks from the same user using the same device in somewhat rapid succession. We can exchange opinions on whether Google should change that policy at another time.

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
"People are willing to click on the ads, but not interested enough to place the call" Once clicked it connects, after a click their is no way of making it more interesting ? So why the repeated action if its not interesting ? and why the repeated charges ? A lower CPC would result in no placement, so its to the point of not being possible to advertise this way if its a competitive market. Why not try pay for placement, auction off the position for 24 hours. It would make more sense that the system you have now

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Nathan,

It's not my system, just trying to explain how it all works.
Do you suspect it is the same person clicking on your ad repeatedly? Those would be invalid clicks.

Pete

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What a nightmare. It's just a matter of principle. When someone clicks on a mobile click-to-call button, and then opts not to call, Google should not charge. If you are using a call extensions that uses a Google forwarding number, Google then knows whether the call was made. So, again, they should not charge for these clicks.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Joe,
Its crazy, Its a team of 5 people that are clicking for me, and its amazing how many clicks they get in before Google calls them invalid, not including the prank calls, all of this is after using the google number, it seems the google number dose not help them identify invalid clicks, but is dose provide you with some good data.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes we do have a different definition, They are interested enough to push the call button but not wanting to call, so why do they push the call button ?
So why dose google charge ? if they are not interested enough ?
Why not charge after a call had been made and you can see the data of a real call using the google forwarded number ? This would be the only fair way to charge.
Like many advertisers we are happy to pay for clicks that could be leads, but why do we have to pay for clicks that are not interested, have no intent of using the service, if they had they would call, or is it because they are trying to go to the web site and you can't and google knows this and makes millions from this link that dose not work ?