AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google forwarding number on my website

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew any info about the actual Google forwarding number as a client is a little bit apprehensive about using the number.  They think that when they come to the site and see the changed number, they will note this down and when they go to call back the number may not work.

Is it the same number each time? Or is it a different number for each user?  I currently have the number as an advert extension and a click to call option for mobile, but I am wanting to implement the number change on the actual website.  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google forwarding number on my website

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Tom B

The Google forwarding number is intended for online, instant,  conversion - its goal is not to serve as a business number.

In a reply to a similar question, in the past, Google answered that the number could be changed. However, in practice this is rare to happen. Assuming that the user would convert instantly, or within a day or two after visiting,  the benefits of tracking  conversions exceed the chances of  a new number.   ( In the uncommon "event"  of a prospective client would call after 2 weeks....)

Currently you have no call tracking - a major metric in  a campaign performs analysis.

My 2 pennies on the topic.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi @MosheTLV thanks for the reply. I realise it doesn't serve as a business number but my client is concerned that they will come to the site for the first time, call the number, save it once dialled and then when they go to re-order the number will no longer work and they will just Google search a new supplier. I just need to know if the number remains active as long as the campaign is live and whether it remains the same.

I did find a thread where somebody knew the number to remain active 2 months after the campaign was paused but I wanted to be sure I could say to my client 100% the number they note down will work as long as the campaign remains active.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tom B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Tom B;

Google does not guarantee the specific number is kept. I don't think is that in today's world users keep phone numbers to re-order. They re-visit the site to re-order....

I am not familiar  with any confirmation from Google about keeping the number  for 2 months after a campaign is paused. As said, the number could be changed, at any given time, while a campaign is active, though,  not likely  to happen.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I agree with you but they are adamant that this could potentially happen and it is b2b so there is more chance of something like this happening, I'll have to just persuade them for the good of the campaign! The source I found was on another discussion https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/Google-forwarding-number/td-p/324...

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Tom B;

Following another question earlier this year (2015) we checked again with Google, and Google  could not confirm or guarantee that the number is kept. - The thread you are linking to also says  that there is no documentation, and the it was the advertiser's own experience, while your clients want a confirmation...

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Google does not guarantee the specific number is kept. That is all I needed to know, thanks.