AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google adword phone call tracking a negative as an advertiser

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As Google replaces our original phone with a forwarding number, I was wondering if that can be a negative for me as an advertiser because Ideally I would like my original phone number to be saved in my clients phone not google forwarding number. Moreover, google shuts those forwarding number once I chose to pause my ads. In future if my client calls me on that saved mobile number(google forwarding number), they will not be able to reach me.  

I would like to your opinion on this.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Adam, your concern is legitimate. Also, because AdWords tracking numbers are recycled among advertisers, when a customer tries to call the number they saved in their phone a month ago, they'll be connected to an entirely different business. 

There are big advantages to having AdWords replace your number with a forwarding number, however, like setting conversion goals, reviewing call times and durations, etc. It's up to you to decide which of those two "goods" is more valuable to you.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Adam,

I have this concern from clients all the time. The data your receive from call tracking is usually very valuable and that offsets any of the downsides.

Also, while people can save the number in their phone, I don't believe many do. The more normal behaviour when wanting to re-contact the merchant is to repeat the previous method that worked, ie a Google search. 

And if they did happen to save the number, and you stop advertising, and they get the wrong business... if they like your product/service they will then do a Google search and find you again.