AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Website Call Conversions - Do SMSes / Text Messages also get forwarded?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey There,

Google Website Call Conversions - Do SMSes / Text Messages also get forwarded? So if my website's visitor chooses to send me a text message instead of calling me, will the text message also get forwarded to my phone?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Website Call Conversions - Do SMSes / Text Messages also get forwarded?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
No, as of right now this is not a supported feature.

Re: Google Website Call Conversions - Do SMSes / Text Messages also get forwarded?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Phillip,

With no intention to doubt your knowledge on the subject, would it be okay if I asked you to share any link that you have that can back this statement up.

I have an important client that I need to revert to about this. That's why.

I appreciate the quick and timely response.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anirudh P
June 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Google rarely tells you what won't work. The rule of thumb - it only works if Google explicitly tells you it works. However:

"When a customer calls the Google forwarding number listed with your call-only ad or call extension (on desktop) or clicks the call button with a Google forwarding number (mobile), the call will be rerouted to your business phone number." https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454052?hl=en

Note the complete and total absence of "sms"

I've used these tracking numbers extensively. While it's theoretically possible an SMS would work - it is after all a Google Voice number - remember, it can change without notice. Even if it does work, there is no "conversation" hence no "conversion."

Conversions are based on call duration. While we are spoiled by our SMS and Voice communications on our same devices with identical numbers, the technology is very different. There is no "conversation" to track. Even the laws governing commercial use of SMS and voice are different.

If it is important to your client, recommend one of the many inexpensive voice/sms call number solutions like Twilio (not an endorsement, just an example) designed for the purpose rather than risk an unsupported and undocumented feature. FYI - I tested on a couple of my tracking numbers and it failed silently with sms.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Mr. B,

As much as I appreciate your entire description, I am glad that you did this: "FYI - I tested on a couple of my tracking numbers and it failed silently with SMS." for proof.

Thanks for your advice.