AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Tag Manager and Event Tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm testing Google Tag Manager in a few accounts and have come across the age old problem of the conversion not going onto a new URL.

In the past, we have used a workaround where we import Analytics goals and have a goal around the Event (either on-click or on-submit).

With the Google Tag Manager, it seems like you can have the conversion code fire on Events, without needing to use the Analytics workaround.

Do anyone know much about this functionality? Is this possible (and how), or do I need to still use the same workaround? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Google Tag Manager and Event Tracking

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Joe, 

It sounds like you have a question about whether or not you can use Google Tag Manager to have tags fire on an event such as a button click. Is that right? To clarify, this is a functionality of Tag Manager, but it does require some customizations to your container implementation. I'd recommend reviewing this link which redirects to more information about how this can be implemented. 

Do respond to the discussion thread if you have any follow-up questions. 

Juliana 

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by JulianaS (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Joe, 

It sounds like you have a question about whether or not you can use Google Tag Manager to have tags fire on an event such as a button click. Is that right? To clarify, this is a functionality of Tag Manager, but it does require some customizations to your container implementation. I'd recommend reviewing this link which redirects to more information about how this can be implemented. 

Do respond to the discussion thread if you have any follow-up questions. 

Juliana 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
HI Juliana,

Thank you for your reply. I heard about GTM Auto-event tracking yesterday at the GA Summit and was wondering if that would do the trick? I've looked for info on this and can't find any, even in the interface (it went live yesterday?).

This is from the GA rundown, "Launched October 1st, Auto-Event Tracking lets Google Tag Manager users listen for events on the page without adding any custom code, and then fire data to Google Analytics or other tags."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJXeKvW5vJQ&feature=share&t=1h8m
http://analytics.blogspot.com/2013/10/the-rundown-new-products-and-features.html

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Below is an article on Lunametrics. These tactics will work just as well to fire AdWords conversion tracking, right?

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2013/10/03/google-tag-manager-auto-event-tracking/