AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Tag Manager, Analytics and AdWords Conversion Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello!

First, thank you to anyone who offers help.  I appreciate you in advance.

I've been paying for ads for about 2 weeks and want to set up conversion tracking.  I understand that it's best to use Google Tag Manager for this.  

I followed this tutorial for tracking Contact form 7 submissions (wordpress).  It shows how to set up an event tag and trigger using Universal Analytics tag type.

I've tested a form submission with Chrome Tag Manager Extension recording and the results show both a Tag Assistant Report and Google Analytics Report with no warnings.  

So now that those are connected, how can Adwords use it to know if an ad click fills out the form?

Should I have used Adwords Conversion Tracking tag type? And if the answer to this is yes, do I leave the Universal Analytics Tag?  

I would love advice for what's the best way to all three, GTM, GA, & GAW working in sync.

This is my first day with Tag Manger so understating how it works with Analyics and Adwords is still a bit vague.

Thank you vwey much!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Contact Form 7 has had recent changes, and the old way of using a thank you page is no longer valid.

The new way is to add code (the plugin maker provides samples) that will record an Analytics event via Tag Manager. You then make a goal from the event in Analytics, and import it into AdWords as a conversion.

Tag Manager can tell when a form submission is successful, something that Analytics cannot do on its own. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you @RobSkelton!  I appreciate you!

I should have mentioned, but I am not trying to use (or want to use) a thank you page redirect.  So I'm good there.

Additionally, I would like to track different forms, not all the forms.  IE, one form is for Service A, another form is for Service B and so on. Each service will have a separate campaign in Adwords.

Therefore, if I'm not mistaken, this CF7 Link,  (which I believe you are referring to) will track all forms on the entire site (please correct me if I'm wrong).

That tutorial uses the form ID, as well as Enable on /specific-link/ and fire when FormID >> Equals >> ID. What I can't seem to figure out is how tag manager reports it to Adwords and Analytics for the specific Ad Campaign.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Use GTM to send an Event to Analytics when the form is submitted

Make a Goal from the Event in Analytics

Import the Goal as a Conversion in AdWords