AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Product Listing Ads (PLA) Tracking code not working.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have been trying to find out how to track PLA ads by adding in tracking code to my Merchant center feed. I have truied every help document available and I get error after error, even when I cut and past directly from the examples. It looks like all of the information ourt there is completley innaccurate, since even the paths that are described to get to the resulting information are navigational paths that don't even wexist in the analytics interface. "Traffic Sources -> AdWords -> AdWords Campaigns and selecting to see the data sliced by Landing page."

I have used the adwords_redirect attribute and I keep getting "The value is not a valid AdWords redirect url." In it I have tried:

?origin=product-search appended to the URLs

?origin=product-ads appended to the URLs

?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=adwords appended to the URLs

adwords_redirect = http://www.example.com/dog.html?kwd={keyword} appended to the URLs

I have used query_param and get errors as well. Most of these I have tried from every forum post and "Solved" answer I can find. I have tried the dynamic attributes:

?origin={adtype} appended to the URLs

?source=productlistings appended to the URLs

We have even gone so far as to try the ValueTrack parameters "?source={ifpe:1}{ifpla:2}"

Everything we have tried results in an error. Keep in mind, these are ALL from the adwords and analytics help docs out there now.

I just simply want to see what product lising ads are doing and some insight into their performance. I need to get a flashlight into this black box of a poorly rolled out program or I need to stop using it.

Does anyone know of a way to actually track, either by manually adding URLs, appending tracking code statically or by using a dynamic piece of code to show at minimum the basics? Optimally, I would like to see everything, like the part number clicked, the keyword used to generate the ad, etc etc, but right now, I just need something.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Product Listing Ads (PLA) Tracking code not working.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I need at append something VERY IMPORTANT to this thread.

In testing the adwords_redirect url tagging, we were getting numerous errors and they seemed benign enough.

We let them ride and kept trudging through the testing and we were REALLY surprised that the adwords_redirect URL giving an error in the merchant account actually overrided our PPC account and since the adwords_redirect Url that we were appending was invalid, it SHUT OFF ALL PPC ADS!

We did not realize this until the stats came in the next day. Of course there was some traffic running through the account from the second and third tier networks, but the majority of the account was disabled. It's like the cart before the horse.

I keep seeing the finger being pointed back and forth between the two sides:

If I email the merchant support, they say "Recent changes mean that all produicts fall under the Adwords rules"

If I email the adwords support team, they say "PLA is driven by your mercahnt center feed and those feed requirements"

Can someone just publish a document that is correct and factual that would actually HELP users.

<scarcasm>I know it sounds crazy, but I think it just might help hundreds of thousands of merchants.</scarcasm>

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Brad, I understand your frustration. PLAs are ... fickle to say the least.

However, here's my setup:

a) <link>http://regularurl.html?source=googleps></link>

This tells me that the click which appears in Organic actually came from Google Shopping, in Analytics

b) <g:adwords_queryparam>adtype={adtype}</g:adwords_queryparam>

This appends adtype=pe for product extensions and pla for product listing ads. In Analytics, when looking at Matched Search Queries + Landing pages as the second dimension, I can see which query landed on which page, and thus triggered the display of which product ad or extension.

c) <g:adwords_labels>Product SKU</g:adwords_labels>

I can create separate ad groups with this, with separate bids, and use product targets which inlcude one product alone. Then I can see already in the adwords interface which search terms went to which ad group. And since that ad group only targets one product, I can understand what queries trigger the display of which ad.

See this thread as well for some PLA troubleshooting info: https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approvals-and-Advertising/Products-ads-not-displaying/m-p...

See if it helps, and get back to us either to confirm it worked, or to tell us that it doesn't work for you.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the help Calin.

I will try this as soon as we can, just a little reluctant now that we know that if you populate it and get it wrong that it kills your PLA ads as well as the entire AdWords account.

You may have pinpointed the problem though... In ALL of the documentation available online, they keep showing the entire URL with the code appended to it and you are just showing that you are using the code and no actual URL, so maybe that has been the problem the entire time?

Thanks for the snippets, we will test and I will let you know!

Brad

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Good luck, Brad. I'd love to hear that it finally worked, PLAs can really be a powerful and easy way of getting your inventory online.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.