AdWords
1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Forwarding Number

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Does anyone recall having to check the option "Use a Google Call Forwarding Number" to track calls?

I was trying to explain that set-up to someone.... Is that no longer needed?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author J_Lynch_Googler
July 2017

Google Forwarding Number

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

The "default" when adding call extensions is to use a Google forwarding number nowadays. IE, call reporting will be "on" when you create a call extension. Which, automatically includes counting calls as conversions. Like @MosheTLV said, if you expand the menu, you will get even more options.

The default options have changed since the inception of AdWords call tracking. Yes, I remember when it was different, but no - You don't have to do anything but setup call extensions nowadays if you want to use call forwarding numbers, and count calls as conversions. Smiley Happy

Tom

View solution in original post

Google Forwarding Number

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

The text in the setting  was changed to "count calls as conversions" (or a similar  language), but if you continue with the setting you will  see a reference to a Google number. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author J_Lynch_Googler
July 2017

Google Forwarding Number

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

The "default" when adding call extensions is to use a Google forwarding number nowadays. IE, call reporting will be "on" when you create a call extension. Which, automatically includes counting calls as conversions. Like @MosheTLV said, if you expand the menu, you will get even more options.

The default options have changed since the inception of AdWords call tracking. Yes, I remember when it was different, but no - You don't have to do anything but setup call extensions nowadays if you want to use call forwarding numbers, and count calls as conversions. Smiley Happy

Tom

Google Forwarding Number

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for the replies.

As I understand it - adding the number you choose as an extension and selecting call reporting will track calls to that number as conversions. It's no longer necessary to "Use a Google Forwarding Number" to track calls - it is no longer an option. 

Secondarily - Google Forwarding Numbers are used for the most part with dynamic website call tracking - yes?

Thanks again!

Google Forwarding Number

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you for your help!

Google Forwarding Number

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner

Google forwarding numbers are necessary to track calls. So, yes, if you track calls as a conversion, the numbers displayed are Google call forwarding numbers.

The forwarding numbers work for both calls from ads, and calls from the website. You don't need to add any code for calls from ads, but you do for website call tracking. Website call tracking using Google call forwarding still only works for AdWords traffic, so if you want to track website calls from all sources, you have to use some kind of third party tracking.

Tom