AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Forwarding Number for two DIFFERENT business campaigns forwards all calls to ONE campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've had no success with support, so I'm coming here for help.  Pardon the sophomoric explanation below, it is meant to be as descriptive as possible - not dismissive. 

I have two campaigns for two different businesses.  One is a doctor, the other is a real estate agency.

Both campaigns have different phone numbers.  They are entirely different businesses run by totally different people.

Each campaign has it's own GFN conversion tracker, and it's own code.  One for the doctor, and one for the real estate agency.  

HOWEVER - Both GFN's ring the DOCTOR's office.  Not good. 

How do I get the real estate site to ring the real estate number, and not the doctor number?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Forwarding Number for two DIFFERENT business campaigns forwards all calls to ONE campaign

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Germain,

You can't assign conversion actions to particular campaigns. So just use one GFN conversion code.

The key is creating call extensions at campaign level, and giving each campaign their own call extension with the relevant phone number.

If you want it on your websites > When you generate the code, there is an option to enter the number as it appears on the website. Use this twice, generating a different code for each site.

Re: Google Forwarding Number for two DIFFERENT business campaigns forwards all calls to ONE campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply. I do have two different call conversions active, one
for each campaign. They both work properly.

I just don know how to get one GFN to work with one campaign, and another
to work with the other.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You can't make a conversion work with a particular campaign.

Use one conversion action.

Alter the code by adding the phone number, if it is to be used on your website.

Assign call extensions at campaign level.

The conversion code will look at which campaign the click came from, and will use the call extension from that campaign to generate a forwarding number for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So... I have two different codes placed in the header of each site, a different one for each site, and one for each phone number.  

But the code puts the same GFN on each site - even though it is two different GFN scripts and totally different phone numbers - and the GFN on both sites redirects all calls to the doctor office, even if they originate from the real estate site.  

Any other ideas? Thanks again for your help.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Do you have individual call extensions for each campaign with the correct phone number?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I do - there are two call extensions, one under each campaign.  Each call extension works properly and connect to the correct phone number.  

I also have two GFN conversion trackers ("calls on website"), one under each campaign, and referencing the correct phone numbers.  

When I created the second GFN conversion, it gave me the script and then gave a prompt that said "you need to connect the conversion to a call extension".  But I cannot find any prompt or way to connect the GFN to a specific call extension.  But somehow, the GFN defaulted to connect to the existing call extension from the first GFN, and any subsequent conversions that I try to create just connect to the first phone number.

Is there a way to force the "calls from website" conversion for the second GFN to connect to a specific call extension?  

Really appreciate your help, and any insight you can provide.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

When I create a call conversion, I see this in the instructions:

2. Configure your call extensions
If you haven't already, create at least one call extension using a Google forwarding number, and make sure that it's applied to the campaign you want to track.

If you have the correct call forwarding code on your site

Conversions > Phone Calls > Calls to a phone number on your website

And when you generated the code you used the option "

And you have the same number as a Call Extension at campaign level (and not another number at account level)

Then the correct number will be used for call forwarding on your website.

So, check your call extensions for one at account level that isn't right for your campaign, and delete it.