AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Conversion Tracking Conflict? - 1 Site, 2 AdWords Accounts

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If I have two AdWords accounts within the same MCC, and they both utilize the same website/domain, but I want to use Google Conversion tracking for both AdWords accounts, and they would reside on the same conversion pages, so would there be a conflict with running two Google conversion codes on the same page if they reference different accounts?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Conversion Tracking Conflict? - 1 Site, 2 AdWords Accounts

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

As far as I am aware you can put as many Adwords conversion codes on the same page as you wish - and all will execute on page load.

However, what you must remember is that as the page loads, all the conversions will trigger, so a visitor triggering conversion A will also trigger conversion B - which is probably not what you want....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much! I really appreciate the insight.

Is it safe to say that keeping to a maximum of one conversion per page a way to alleviate this? I understand that it would be nice to have more than one conversion per page, but I just wanted to confirm my understanding.

Also, if I have two pieces of Google conversion code, as well as Google Analytics coding on the page, would there be any interference between any of these three pieces of coding?

I thank you again in advance for taking the time to share your knowledge.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Brother C,

I'm not sure Steve is right about this. You would have two conversion codes from 2 separate accounts. I'm pretty sure Google is smart enough to figure out which account is responsible for the conversion. If you had 2 conversion codes from the same account, both would fire.

Now, a question for you. Why are you using 2 AdWords accounts to promote the same web site? Do you have permission from Google to do this? Some very large accounts are allowed to have multiple accounts for the same web site, but for the most part that is a potential violation of the Double Serving Policy. If you haven't looked at this policy, do it now and make sure you are in compliance with the policy. Otherwise you risk having your account permanently suspended.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
My bad - Pete is correct since these are from different accounts.

If you have multiple conversion codes from the same account they would all trigger....

But he raises a very good point about double serving - you should not ignore this.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Should these two sets of Google conversion codes not conflict with one another, I was wondering if anyone knew whether both of these Google conversion codes would conflict with GA coding? So essentially some pages could have up to three snippets of coding - 2 sets of conversion code and GA code.

As far as double serving...

There is an Adwords account operated by the client in Dublin, Ireland, and we manage the US AdWords account.

I already spoke with Google about [ad] double serving and one account targets the US while another targets EMEA, so there is no overlap there, especially since we utilize target locations AND the exclusion for people searching outside the US for our domestic account - so no double serving and already been verified by Google.

But, since some pages may be used by both European and domestic users, such as potentially the newsletter for English speaking users in EMEA, then when users are brought to the page through an European ad, we want to be able to collect that conversion regardless of where the user came from and through which account they came from.
Same can be said for a user coming through on a domestic ad.

Only adcopy from one account will be showed within domestic / EMEA markets. There is no overlap.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Double serving aside, would two sets of conversion coding from two different sites conflict with one another technically? I am not worried about double serving, I spoke with Google regarding double serving before we cross the Google conversion coding bridge.

If anyone has any information regarding the actual functionality of two pieces of Google conversion code running, as well as in addition to Google Analytics, I wanted to make sure there will be no technical/functional issues with tracking once the new site is migrated.

Thank you.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Brother C
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Brother C,

Sounds like you have the double-serving issue under control. There is no problem placing multiple AdWords conversion codes along with the GA code on the same page. It all works as expected.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords