AdWords
3K members online now
3K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having an issue with Google Analytics where it shows me that the top referrer is my own website. How can this be fixed?

Thanks,

Mauricio

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: Google Analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi mvera,

This is really an Analytics question unrelated to AdWords, but let's give it a go here anyway.

Usually what I see is that example.com is listed as the referrer for www.example.com. This happens when traffic from example.com is redirected to www.example.com by the web server. You can add a little bit of coe the the Analytics tracking code that will stop that.

This example is for the synchronous code. Just before the pageTracker._trackPageview(); line add this:

pageTracker._addIgnoredRef('example.com');

Then regenerate all site pages.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Google Analytics

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This may be better answered on the analytics forum.

However, that most commonly happens because your referrer URL is breaking. (e.g. your payment processor sends you to a 3rd party site and back. This will break the referrer, and set it as your site being the referrer.

One way of doing that is using the utm_nooverride=1 on those links, or just changing that in the analytics tracking code.

You can see a Google video on that here: http://services.google.com/analytics/breeze/en/additional_customizations/index.html