AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics won't track clicks when we use "Tracking template" in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We switched to use "Tracking template" in AdWords recently because we started using Hubspot. We noticed that the campaigns report and paid keywords report in Google Analytics is not working as expected. Sessions, new users, bounce rate, etc. are still working, but clicks is wrong. Since clicks are not tracked, all the AdWords report in GA is wrong too.

My guess is that, when we use "Tracking template", you actually click on the url without parameters and are redirected to the url with all the parameters. Adwords is able to pick up the parameters should be clicked and GA doesn't know anything about that. After you go to the landing page, GA is able to track the session and usage from then on. Is this true or are we doing something wrong?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Rui Z,

Are you using auto-tagging? If so, this should be fairly simple to do. Have you added custom parameters? I strongly recommend against using both auto-tagging and manual tagging with utm_* names. That just confuses things. Perhaps you are using manual tagging to fill the needs of a different tracking system.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We disabled auto-tagging and uses a template that looks like

{lpurl}?ads_cmpid={campaignid}&ads_adid={adgroupid}&ads_matchtype={matchtype}&ads_network={network}&ads_creative={creative}&utm_term={keyword}&ads_targetid={targetid}&utm_campaign={_utmcampaign}&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2

Recommended by hubspot -

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/reports/how-does-tracking-work-in-the-ads-add-on