AdWords
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics showing 0 sessions despite Google Adwords showing clicks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

Google Analytics is showing 0 sessions for yesterday and today, however, an article I published yesterday morning got a few likes, shares and comments on social media so I know people must have clicked through to read the article.  Google Adwords is even showing 47 clicks for yesterday.

Does anyone know a reason why my Google Analytics would just stop registering sessions?

Thanks,

Adam.

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi, Adam. Are you seeing 0 clicks overall for the URL you're promoting or just 0 clicks that come from Google AdWords in Google Analytics?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Adam W
February 2017

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@AdWiser @Adam W

the way I read it is that Analytics is not reporting any sessions at all but did report 47 Adwords clicks.  Clicks are data that is imported from Adwords through the link that is created.  One possibility is that your Analytics code may no longer be in place, or there is something interfering with it.  Did you recently make any changes to your site?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

To follow up on what @David K is saying, if, by any chance, your website cannot handle an extra parameter for that URL (which would be the gclid that AdWords automatically appends when auto-tagging is enabled), it may throw a 404 error before the Analytics code has any chance of firing (because the HTML page is not rendered).

You can test that if you take your AdWords URL and append a ?gclid=test to it if no other parameters are present or a &gclid=test at the end if other parameters are present.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Adwiser,

I'm seeing 0 clicks overall... my point about including Google Adwords was that it was the only proof I had that Google Analytics was definitely wrong and I wasn't going crazy.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you both for your help!

After adding the "?gclid=test" to my URL and it coming back completely fine, I looked into David K's suggestion.  Somehow my Google Analytics Wordpress Plugin was deactivated.  I honestly didn't touch that plugin at all, but I had included the same plugin on a different Wordpress site and linked it to the same account (but different property).  I know that shouldn't have affected the original website, but maybe it did.. or maybe I accidentally clicked something incorrect in my various tinkerings.

Thank you both so much for spending the time to reply to my query.  This is a great support system.

Regards,

Adam.