AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics basic metrics - Visits and pageviews

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a basic doubt and I hope you guys can solve it.

So, Imagine the next scenario: 

A session is iniciated at page A, then navigate to page B and C, where takes a break for a 35 minutes and therefore the visits/session ends. So, then comes back and goes to page D (doing click in a link in page C this action is not shown in the image).

So, I understand that in this example I have 2 visits, 4 pageviews but my doubt is:

¿What is the medium and source of the second visit?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics basic metrics - Visits and pageviews

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nicholas,

In Analytics, the source will be the last non-direct source. In this case, If he returns with a bookmark or types in the URL, the source will remain AdWords. If he clicks on your organic Google listing, the source will be Google organic.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much for your answer @petebardo.

I think I didn't explain very well. My doubt is not about conversion attribution.
My question is when a visitor ends a session in a page and then he continues the navigation FROM this page to another page inside the site, generating another session.

In this new session, what is the source and medium?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi nicopixel,

That's a great question. Unless the session is extended, the second visit should be a self-referral--referred by the same site, but I don't think I've ever seen a self-referral,

You might have better luck with this question on the Analytics Forum. I don't know if the session is extended when the user clicks on an internal link for the same web site after a session has expired.

Sorry I couldn't do any better than this.

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks petebardo! any help is welcome.