AdWords
6K members online now
6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics and Adwords Transactions Discrepancy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am reviewing a client account at the moment and I have noticed a discrepancy between the number of transactions attributed to Adwords (4) and Google Analytics google paid traffic (17 transactions) in a given time period. I have checked all the usual culprits, auto tagging, linked accounts etc.

Subsequently I have also noticed that I need to configure referral exclusion for two payment providers as a further 7 transactions have not been correctly attributed to their source as a result.

There is a duplicated transactions conversion imported from Google Analytics in Adwords which I am suspicious of and a number of other unused conversions tracked in Adwords.

What I would like to do is to delete all the conversions in Adwords and re-import from Google Analytics. If I do this will I loose all existing transaction conversion data in Adwords or when I re-important the transaction conversion will it 'backfill' the data?

Thanks in advance

Mark

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics and Adwords Transactions Discrepancy

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Mark,

Good question.

There is no way to delete conversions from AdWords. You can delete conversion actions so that they won't record new conversions, but once a conversion is reported in AdWords it's there forever.

I hope that helps!

John

Re: Google Analytics and Adwords Transactions Discrepancy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello @Mark_P,

{You Said: I am reviewing a client account at the moment and I have noticed a discrepancy between the number of transactions attributed to Adwords (4) and Google Analytics google paid traffic (17 transactions) in a given time period. I have checked all the usual culprits, auto tagging, linked accounts etc.}

In this time period were the conversion goals in adwords setup correctly and confirmed to be placed on the confirmation pages of the website? It could be possible that there was a time period when the conversions were not tracked correctly.

{You said: Subsequently I have also noticed that I need to configure referral exclusion for two payment providers as a further 7 transactions have not been correctly attributed to their source as a result.}

It is important to determine all other domains a user could be sent to in the process of converting on your website (i.e. taking to a paypal account, or other 3rd party ecommerce platform) to ensure they are not treated as referrals, but rather are steps in the customer conversion funnel. You can make this change from the admin panel of GA under the "tracking info" and "referral exclusion list" adding the domains here.

{You said: There is a duplicated transactions conversion imported from Google Analytics in Adwords which I am suspicious of and a number of other unused conversions tracked in Adwords.}

It is important to determine if you want to import the conversions via GA or use adwords conversion tracking. If you do both double counting WILL occur.

{You said: What I would like to do is to delete all the conversions in Adwords and re-import from Google Analytics. If I do this will I loose all existing transaction conversion data in Adwords or when I re-important the transaction conversion will it 'backfill' the data?}

Unfortunately you cannot delete conversion data once it is collected in AdWords. You can "delete" the conversion goals, stopping them from collecting future conversions. But you cannot remove data ALREADY in the adwords account.

If you import the conversion goals from GA into AdWords it will only do so for FUTURE data, it will not populate past conversion data already in your GA account.

Let me know if this helps.

Best,

NIck

Google Analytics and Adwords Transactions Discrepancy

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

The first step is to make sure that analytics is accurately reporting transaction data. Once you get that sorted out, then just import the transactions into AdWords, and "remove" the AdWords conversions. 

AdWords conversion window can only go back 90 days, where as analytics can go back two years. In the long run, you are going to get more accurate transaction data from analytics than the AdWords interface - As long as your analytics reporting is an accurate reflection of actual sales.

Tom