AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Issue : Auto-tagging or Manual-tagging?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

Need an urgent help from you all.

I have a client currently running both Paid Search and GDN campaigns by using auto-tagging, and it is very convenient when I would like to find out which keyword under Paid Search campaign generated the highest new visit, lowest bounce rate etc for the account.

Now here is my dilemma when client want to know more about the contributions of GDN in Google Analytics especially on following targeting methods:

• Contextual
  • Interest
  • Topic
  • Remarketing
  • Managed placement
  • Contextual + Topic

Questions:

1. Knowing that it is not being recommended to use both auto-tagging and manual-tagging simultaneously, but is there a way for me to track every single performance details of all GDN campaigns?
  2. How could I track performance for Topic, Interest, and Remarketing in GA?
  3. If manual-tagging is the only solution for both paid search and GDN campaigns, what are the side-effects if I suddenly change from auto to manual tagging?

Many thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics Issue : Auto-tagging or Manual-tagging?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Eric,

I'll take a stab at this for you.

Although I have not implemented this myself...you may find that an edit to your Analytics tracking code could provide you some of these details.

Read more here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2444872?hl=en&ref_topic=3413645

Also here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2819950?hl=en&ref_topic=2799375

Also, Universal Analytics in the future could very likely include support for such reports.

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi,

1. Knowing that it is not being recommended to use both auto-tagging and manual-tagging simultaneously, but is there a way for me to track every single performance details of all GDN campaigns? : Yes you can do this via autotagging you dont need to manually tag URLs
  2. How could I track performance for Topic, Interest, and Remarketing in GA?: Navigate to Traffic Sources>> Advertising >> Adwords >> Keywords. docvertical:xx = topics, (uservertical) or (user vertical targeting) = interest categories, (remarketing/content targeting) or (boomuserlist) = remarketing . Navigate to Traffic Sources>> Advertising >> Adwords >> Placements for managed vs automatic report

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nik,

This is really helpful!

Questions:

1) Google advised me to open two GA accounts. One with auto-tagging for Paid Search, another one with manual-tagging for GDN. In my opinion, i don't think it is making sense but what do you think?

2) Understand docvertical :15 = Topics but what do i know which topic is it? If I'm targeting multiple topics? Same query for Interest, and Remarketing list

3) If I'm using combination targeting in GDN such as Contextual + Topic. How should I read the data in GA?

Many thanks!