AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics / Google Adwords / Google Tag Manager - Syncing Goals with Conversions with Tags

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

This is very complex guys, I'll try to be as descriptive as possible.

I am currently setting up Google Tag Manager for all my conversion / goal actions that can be takes on my website. 

1. I have set up the Purchase Goal in Analytics; 

analytics.PNG

2. I have linked Adwords & analytics accounts and am sourcing the Goal into Adwords as a conversion; 

adwords.PNG

3. Next step is to add this as a tag into Google Tag Manager (nicely syncing goal/conversion/tags within my site).

However, it would seem Conversions sourced from Analytics goals do not have a Conversion ID (required for setting up tags in google tag manager);

tag.PNG

Can anyone out there clarify for me how to find the tag for a Conversion (being sourced from analytics goals). 

Or am I doing something wrong? Should I set up a different way? Do I even need Tag manager? 

What I am hoping for is all 3 programs (Analytics/Adwords/Tag-Manager) reporting the same events.

Hoping I haven't confused anyone.  

3 Expert replyverified_user

Google Analytics / Google Adwords / Google Tag Manager - Syncing Goals with Conversions with Tags

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Michael, 

If you're importing goals from Google Analytics to AdWords you do not need Google Tag Manager except for either/or of the following: 

a) Inserting your Analytics tag onto your site 

b) GTM can be used to push events based on special conditions. 

But for you it looks like - according to your screenshots - you want to trigger you Goals according to destination. This does not require the use of GTM (except for mentioned above). 

Lastly keep in mind that Goals imported to Analytics will be attributed a little differently. They will look at the 'last click' model (unless changed), they take longer to be imported into AdWords - up to 9 hours compared to appear in AdWords and they will be attributed 'date-wise' based on the day they converted compared to the day they first clicked on the AdWords ads which is standard date attribution for AdWords conversions. 

I hope that made sense! 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Josh, 

Thank you for clearing that up for me.

I think I needed some clarity on best practices on what was necessary and what wasn't for best practice tracking. 

Yes you are correct (mostly). The majority of my goals are either a user making a purchase (destination goal) or contacting me via;

- completing contact form

- clicking social media link

- clicking to call (mobile) 

None of these have their own specific URL(besides social media pages), so in your opinion what would be the best goal set up to measure people completing contact forms and clicking through to social media? 

Kind Regards Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hey Michael,

The data goes GTM > Analytics > AdWords. Only use GTM if you have to. 

GTM is the best way to go if you are counting form submissions (and the form doesn't have a thank you page).

For clicks on links, use GTM to create an Analytics event.

For forms, use GTM to count form submissions as an Analytics event. 

Make sure you test everything - use the real-time > events section in Analytics when testing. Some forms don't work with GTM, so especially test that. If the form submission doesn't work, just count clicks on the submit button or find a way of having a thank you page.

For transactions, eCommerce tracking in Analytics is the usual way, no need for GTM.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Rob,

Fantastic, I am counting form submissions (without a thank you pg) & clicks on social media links. 

I'm still new to working n tag manager but I'll give it a go, it looks fairly complex. 

Thanks for your help Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Rob,

Just one more question, do I need to setup the event goal (completing contact form) first in analytics and then reference the goal in Tag Manager?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

For what it's worth, here's my take on this.....

The learning curve for GTM is steep - and the documentation is poor at best in many areas. I struggled with it, got to know it, then they changed it and I struggled again.

But like most learning curves, the steeper they are the better the view when you get to the top. so although you don't need GTM, my recommendation would be to go with it.

and here's why... with GTM you can not only do all the simple stuff like implement your GA code, but you can also do a lot more cool things like set up events for people that click on your social media links that you mentioned. 

There's a stack more, and once you start the possibilities really start to open up.

But the real reason I recommend you stick with GTM is because Google recommend it's use. It's true that most of what you can currently do with GTM can be done with a combination of GA and AdWords code - but firstly, why bother with multiple code implementations when you can use just one and secondly, in the future there are doubtless going to be more add on functions to GTM that Google will start to offer, and you will be one of the few people that know how it works.

Want some extra help - skip on over to the GTM forum and also seek out Simo Ahava's fantastic blog on the subject.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks Stickleback, 

I'll do just that.

Cheers Smiley Happy

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Michael,

Withe the event goal, I create the event using GTM and then make the goal in Analytics, but you can do it the other way around, makes no difference. Just make sure you test it.