AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Goals work but imported in Adwords show “No recent conversions”

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Our Google Analytics Goals record conversions but imported to Adwords they show “No recent conversions”. The accounts are linked, we are currently running a campaign and we have data sharing and auto-tagging enabled. Is there something else that we are missing?

Can domain changes pose a problem? We are running a school on the Teachable platform and sign-ups and sales go over their domain, yet in GA that does not seem to be a problem for the tracking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
September

Google Analytics Goals work but imported conversion in Adwords show “No recent conversions”

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Robert,

"No recent conversions" just means none in the last 7 days. So if there haven't been any Analytics goals that came from someone who clicked on your ads in the last 7 days, that would explain it.

To check, look in the AdWords section of Analytics or the Source/Medium section to see if AdWords visitors are getting goals.

The other possibility is that Analytics isn't identifying the visitors as coming from AdWords. The usual fix is to to exclude referrers in Analytics, typically that would be your own sites, payment providers, and external booking sites. Look in the Referrer section of AdWords for any you may wish to exclude.

Google Analytics Goals work but imported in Adwords show “No recent conversions”

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Robert P,

You'll need to set up cross-domain tracking in order to import those goals since the landing page and sign-ups page are on different domains.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Pete,

My understanding is that cross-domain tracking was only necessary for the old Analytics, and not Universal Analytics...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,
thanks for your help. Yes you are right, it seems Analytics isn't identifying the visitors as coming from AdWords.

In Analytics we had a 15% goal completions rate over the past month, 70% of the traffic is coming from Adwords but 50% of the conversions are attributed to “(direct) / (none)” while “google / cpc” accounts only for 2% of the recorded conversions. These few conversions then also do not show up in Adwords. 

Could the missing cross-domain tracking be the issue or would we rather need to work with the Tag Manager instead of Goals?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Here's a possibility:

Your ads are using an http URL and visitors are being redirected to https when they arrive.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi RobSkelton,

I can't say for certain, but I just went though a bunch of cross-domain set up trying to import transactions as conversions. I'm really not sure if I'm using Universal Analytics. I had to add some stuff to settings and added code to the page to implement the cross domain tracking.

That's all I know!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

you can set up the cross domain tracking within GTM if you're using that (which your comments suggest you are)... but (and this is a big BUT) you need to have the cross domain tracking set up on both sites - including the billing site - and if you don't control that, you'll need to speak to them.