AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics Cookies

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

I've one question regarding google analytics cookies. Let's say, if a visitor comes to my website through any source, browse my website and closed the same and while closing the browser he has also deleted the cookies. Another day, same visitor comes to my website directly (typing the website in the address bar) and gets convert. So now what will analtyics show, "is that returning visitor for me or new one", and what will Top Conversion Path show "will they show that this visitor first comes to your website through this source (source name) and then again comes direct and gets convert" OR "will they show that this visitor comes direct and gets convert. Question is simple after deleting the cookies will i get user data when they come before deleting the cookies OR that visitor become new for me if he come again.

Regards,

Shazen Khan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shazen
September 2015

Re: Google Analytics Cookies

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Shazen,

After deleting the cookie, it will be recorded as fresh user in GA and not as a returning user.

Google analytics uses cookie to track visitor’s behavior.

The information like unique id/client id (ie Measurement protocol used by Google for Universal Tracking) for a visitor is written to GA cookie when a user visits the website. And when the cookie is deleted and user again visits it by typing the website name directly in a browser, cookie will be written with “new” unique id.

And hence you will have conversion path as

Direct => Conversion

And not as eg

Organic => Direct => Conversion

Hope this helps

SJ

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Shazen
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Shazen,

After deleting the cookie, it will be recorded as fresh user in GA and not as a returning user.

Google analytics uses cookie to track visitor’s behavior.

The information like unique id/client id (ie Measurement protocol used by Google for Universal Tracking) for a visitor is written to GA cookie when a user visits the website. And when the cookie is deleted and user again visits it by typing the website name directly in a browser, cookie will be written with “new” unique id.

And hence you will have conversion path as

Direct => Conversion

And not as eg

Organic => Direct => Conversion

Hope this helps

SJ

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi SJ,

Thanks for the reply!

It means through analytics also we can't get the accurate data of conversions and that's why it shows unavailable under Top Conversions Path.

Regards,
Shazen Khan

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Shazen,

In case of deletion of analytics cookie, google analytics won’t be able to link user in conversion path. (unless some other offline options are used to track such users using client ids.)

Also which top conversion path you are referring to – Adwords or analytics. And what do you mean by “unavailable”. Is data completely missing.

Adwords – How many conversions you have received for which you want to see conversion path. Can you see conversions data in adwords at campaigns level atleast.

Analytics – You need to have goals or e-commerce goals implemented to see conversion path in GA. Are you using either or both of them to see this data.

And do you expect all users are deleting the cookie before conversion. There could be some other reasons as well which you should look into. Eg

1. Check if you can see conversions in adwords for campaigns, if no, check if conversion codes have been implemented correctly to track them as adwords conversions
  2. Check if you have goal setup in analytics if you want to see data there

SJ