AdWords
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Analytics: AdWords Reports - Reporting "Extra" Transactions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone. Got an issue that has been giving me fits. 

My AdWords reports on Google Analytics seem to be pulling in "extra" Ecommerce transactions with a revenue of $0.00. Linked screenshot below from the "Campaigns" report, drilled down to "Ad Group":

Screenshot - AwesomeScreenshot

If I cross-reference these orders to the Ecommerce Overview with "advertising keyword" as a secondary dimension, these transactions do not display (and the analytics numbers match our internal reporting). This only seems to be an issue on Adwords-Specific Reports.

Has anyone seen this before? Is there an error in a) my understanding or in b) my data collection?

Hope this makes sense. Thanks for your time. 

Tony S.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Google Analytics: AdWords Reports - Reporting "Extra" Tr

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Tony,
Yes, I've seen this before.

Can you tell me how many conversions you have set up in AdWords?
Are you importing your GA transactions into AdWords?

Can you show a sample of the code on your conversion page after a transaction is complete? (You can upload it to Google Drive in a text document removing all personal information, including your transaction ID and your GA UID). I want to make sure there's no duplication on the collection end.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Tony,

It can be fake payload from spammers using the Measurement Protocol.
Any of the details can be faked and sent directly to GA.

Knowing more details about your setup would help figuring it out.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey, thanks again for your time. 

Here's a Gist with most of the information on the tracking implementation (test order): 

https://gist.github.com/aspencer/b57097b6696725cbb3dc

Some Notes on the implementation.

I work as a developer with a ecommerce platform company. So we have multiple Analytics trackers on the page (the customer's and two rollup trackers for our internal tracking). Along with that we have some code to glue them all together.

In terms of analytics, I'm pretty confident that things are working as they should (data on the ecommerce reports is correct, and inspection of _utm.gif hits on the completed page looks correct. 

AdWords Question Responses

In response to your AdWords questions, unfortunately the answer is I'm not sure. We have access to some customers' analytics accounts, but we don't have access to AdWords. I've forwarded your questions on to our customer in question. Should hear back, but there's a lag involved in getting answers. I have found this issue on multiple accounts, so that leads me to think that the issue is on our end and not with the AdWords setup. 

Update 

While looking into this I DID just find an issue with our completed page code. If the user refreshes the completed page, we don't track an additional transaction in Google Analytics. However, we DO fire the AdWords conversion code again. I've fixed this, but could this have been causing this issue? 

Thanks again for your time, 

Tony

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Tony,

Did you try to run GA debugger and Google Tag Assistant on the completed page? I'm sure they would shed some light on the issue. If those phantom transactions are coming from the completed page you'd be able to see what is happening using these tools.

Let me know if you find anything.

P.S. You are using the outdated classic analytics code. You should strongly consider upgrading your tracking code to Universal Analytics.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold.

Unfortunately no good answers from the debugging tools. Google Tag Assistant noticed some dupe "var _gaq = _gaq || []" calls, but those shouldn't cause any issues. GA Debugger also displays as expected. Not familiar with the tool, but it looks like a nicer display of the data that you'd get from looking at the __utm.gif parameters from the network tab?

I'm caving a bit for the customer. I've removed our rollup trackers from the page to reduce the noise. I'll be sure to update if that solves the problem (if it does I'll have a different problem on my hands - how to track internally without interfering with these Adwords reports).

Re: Upgrades. Yeah, it's on our list. We support UA for customers but our rollup tracking is currently in the old async format. (Didn't include that in the current example so as to remove unnecessary wrinkles from my test case).

Thanks for your time.