AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google Adwords conversion tracking without conversion page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear Everyone,

There is a registration form on the right side of the webpage and i would like to count a succesful registration for a conversation. There is no conversation (thank you) page, only the text changes in the registration box (Welcome xy...), but the URL in the browser remains the same. I'm thinking about two options: making a javascript with the image part of the Google Adwords conversion code and run it after the registration event. In this case, there are a few difficulties i face with: once, i can't write the code as i'm not a programmer, then i don't know, where to put it properly, because, if i put it after an onSubmit event, it counts every clicks on the submit button, even if the user doesn't type a single word in the input places and instead of the "Welcome xy..." text and error text loads. Second option is to use the Tag Manager... i know there is a new Event Handler update which can listen to events like form submitting, but it still count all the submits (i don't know if that check validation option works properly).

I would really appreciate any help!

Many thanks in advance,

Adam

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ádám K
September 2015

Re: Google Adwords conversion tracking without conversion page

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

Does a server side script validate the form entry and return a status? Or is it all done on the client side?

If it's on the server side, return just the image part of the conversion script as an image. If it's on the client side, create the image with Javascript when you create the "success" message. I've post the Javascript to make this happen a few times on this forum. Here are the basics:

oImg = new Image();
oImg.src="image source as shown in conversion code."
document.body.appendChild(oImg)

That's it!

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ádám K
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Adam,

Does a server side script validate the form entry and return a status? Or is it all done on the client side?

If it's on the server side, return just the image part of the conversion script as an image. If it's on the client side, create the image with Javascript when you create the "success" message. I've post the Javascript to make this happen a few times on this forum. Here are the basics:

oImg = new Image();
oImg.src="image source as shown in conversion code."
document.body.appendChild(oImg)

That's it!

Best of Luck!

Pete

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Adam,

Thank you for posting on our Community forum. Regarding your conversion question, I had a similiar question posted by a member yesterday. I suggest you follow through with the second poster's (Adrian) advice on "pass information from AdWords to another application you need API access and I think you should start with this reference:"  https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/appendix/reports?csw=1#keywords 

More is explained here in the dedicated API forum : 

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/adwords-api/view-through/adwords-api/lnW1oy-pNhU/4OA5ttgb...

You may also want to consider using the Analytics snippets as it can give you more control on how you want to setup your conversions. In addition, the Analytics conversions offer more grainular data. Here's the link to the Analytics Community Forum:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete!

Thank you for your reply, and i've found your script already somewhere, but i had to be sure that in this particular case i should use that (if there wasn't other solution...).

Yes, as far as i know, a server side script validates the registration form (and a user id with passwords for the new registrated) and the script's source is not even on this actual website. So in the source code, there is a form which starts with a javascript (which runs with a document.write, i think it actually creates the whole form, but i don't really know).

Tag Manager is really irrelevant here?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What about this solution? I made an Event Listener Tag in Tag Manager, which waits for events on the website, then i created a Google Adwords Conversion Tag with the parameters of the code generated in Adwords and with these rules:

url equals www.whatever.com/whatever

event equals gmt.formSubmit

Form ID equals whateversignupform (i made a DOM Element macro named Form ID and typed 'form' in Element ID), this rule is because there are other forms on that page like the search and newsletter signup and so on.

I couldn't really test this, so i'm asking if this was okay or not?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Adam K,

Seems to me that will record a conversion whether the form is accepted or not.

Somewhere in the Javascript, it makes an Ajax call that sets a listener. The listener triggers a Javascript function that displays the result. Within that function, you should be able to determine whether the form submission was successful. When you determine it was successful, use the script to create the image as above. I don't think you actually need to display that image, but I would anyway..

Pete

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pete,

I ran a test, but it actually doesn't count any conversion, so there is a problem somewhere.. but i don't know where. Anyway there is a checkbox at the Event Listener Tag which, in theory, only count a submit when it's accepted.. but i don't know if it works properly in this case.. i bet not, or there is something wrong with the form id macro i made. I think, if i knew how to make a javascript code, i could make a custom macro, but i haven't got any skills in this, yet.

Anyway, the image part solution is in progress, but the my client has to make the changes. Until then i'm trying to go through with the Tag Manager, because, if i became advanced with the Tag Manager, i wouldn't have to bother the client with conversion codes neither in special cases.

Thank you for your help,
Adam