AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Reports - Which are you favorites?

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 1
Community Manager

Hi All, 

Reporting is a very cricial part of AdWords success - we believe that. We run a lot of reports within our AdWords accounts - some daily, some weekly and some monthly. Needless to say, it’s important to be very familiar with the reporting options that are available. 

A lot of new advertisers ask us for the top 3 reports to run. So we'd like to open this discussion so that you can share your experiences with various AdWords reports. Feel free to write about your favorite reports, the insights you gather from these reports and how these reports help you with decision making. 

For eg:

"I like 'Impression share report' because it gives me a measure of how many impressions my ad received compared to the total number of impressions for my keywords."  

Thanks, 

Mini

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Reports - Which are you favorites?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Mini,

I like Search Query Report because I beleive campaign performance depends on the search query that triggering ads. Once I get search terms I can work closely in order to maintain relevancy between keywords/ads and search terms. Weeding out irrelevant queries and adding long tail keywords. Adding converting keywords in more strict adgroups helps in acheive better results from advertising campaign. Search query report also helps me in expanding my keywords list. Similarly I like placement report in order to optimize display campaign.

Thanks
Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Google AdWords Reports - Which are you favorites?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Mini,

Thanks for opening that up.

Honestly, can't do top 3, so I'll just do the ones that come to mind Smiley Happy

@NehaGupta has probably one of the biggest ones.

We like to look at Adwords reports, and add labels, so the data has meaning for us. e.g. separate brand vs. non-brand terms, label different ad tests, so we can gather results across campaigns - giving us significant data faster etc.

Also, we like to segment campaign performance based on Devices, click types etc.

On the dimensions tabs, we like to look at geographic reports, and time of day to evaluate those elements.

The Auction insights tool is absolutely huge. You can see one of the uses on my article at SEW

For display campaigns, using Relative CTR at campaign and ad group level is huge to make sure your targeting / ads are good

We generally build out customized reporting for our clients via the API, to dumb everything down further. These are primarily for analysis.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi mini,

I'd have to say that the Geographic & Time reporting in the Dimensions tab are a couple of my favourites.

I use Geo reporting on a regular basis to see where my campaigns are performing well and then break them out into separate campaigns so I have more control over the campaign.

e.g. Sydney might convert very well with a certain bid/position but Perth doesn't do as well using the same settings. I duplicate the campaign, change the location settings and then set separate bids for each location based on their performance.

Time in the dimensions tab is a great way to find out if there are certain times of the day, days of the week or days in the month that perform well for you.

If you find that you convert well on Mon-Thurs you can set a bid strategy to try and make the most of these days.
You might want to increase the budget on these days or increase bids to get a higher position.

The other thing you may want to do it is drop your bids on the lower performing days/hours.

You can either use advanced ad scheduling to control bids at times and days or set up some automated rules to manage this process so you can change the budget as well.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mini,

My first love is the Search Terms Report as Neha rightly pointed in her post.I would like to determine on regular basis whether my account is accruing relevant traffic or not. Based on the Search Terms, I can easily take the decision to rectify the account by adding unwanted terms as negatives at ad group/ campaign level.

Another good reason for this report is the niche of some terms which could be utilized as the new keywords inside the account, so that higher conversions can be achieved.

My 2nd important reports would be the Impression Share and Exact Match IS Reports. I will consider them both at no. 2 for myself because by looking at the statistics for them, I get an idea of where I am standing in front of my competitors in terms of Impressions and whether my keywords are able to attract Exact match queries leading to high relevant traffic or not.

Last but not the least is the Day of the Week Report. It gives a clear cut dimension in the sense how account is performing during week days and during weekends. It helps in determining the fact whether there is a need to pause the campaigns, reduce the bids during certain days of the week or not.

Thanks!

Pankaj

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

With easy access to reports, our lives got easier as well.  I am not utilizing all, but the "most wanted", the Search Term Report.Smiley Wink is my instant partner. Knowing what your audience search for is "almost science" for me. I can exclude right away irrelevant keywords I obtain from the report. I discover from time to time fresh keyword phrases which I can test drive on the spot.The time I saved  I invest in other functions. 

Gone are the days, where I have to tabulate every single metrics. 

AdWords has arrived and provide the most intelligent advertising system. 

More Power,
Loraine

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Mini,

I usually work on Search Query/Placement Performance Report and Assisted Conversion Report.

Search Terms Report is main and very important part for me. I always try to control irrelevant query as they are consuming cost and also disturb or CTR. With the help of SQR we can get converted keywords that help us to improve our conversion rate.

Sometime we get very fruitful keywords which we can't exclude and also can not add in our adgroup. At that time I created a new adgroup for such terms and in future they help us a lot.

Placement Performance Report plays a very vital role in my advertising because my client usually loves to do advertising on content network. This Report helps me to understand which placement is performing for me and which is going against my account.

I usually exclude internal pages which are consuming high and not giving any positive result to me and also add good placements in my managed placements. Before excluding any placement I run assisted conversion report to get exact data.

Assisted Conversion Report is also very important for me as my accounts are very big. So before pausing any keyword I use to check assisted conversion report. Sometime we found very expensive keywords and it’s converting at very high CPA then most of time advertiser think to pause or lower the bid of such kind keywords. In that case i always run Assisted Conversion report that helps me to take a right decision.

Thanks
Anchal