AdWords
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Google AdWords Advanced Location Targeting

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hello All,

I am little unclear about the Google AdWords advanced location targeting option and hope anybody will share some of their experiences on this.

I have a campaign targeted to Texas state and opted my campaign settings to "People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" which means this campaign directly targeting to Texas state and the users who are searching with location specific terms outside of Texas State. But when I looked into Geo report, I did not see any KPIs for other states except Texas and very less impressions quoted as "unspecified". Initially I thought there is no search volume for location specific terms in other states.

But to make sure of this assumption I have done an experiment. I have taken some location specific terms and targeted to US state except Texas. Interestingly there is a considerable search volume for these location specific terms outside of Texas state. Then I realized that with the advanced locations option we are not attracting as effectively as direct targeting with "People in, searching for......" option. But when I check the ad in ad preview tool I am able to see my ad outside of Texas with this advanced location option.

Now, my question is, is Google originally displaying my ads in other states with "People in, searching for......" option for location specific terms? If it is displaying, where can I see those stats?

Thanks in advance.

Karim SK.

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karimulla S
September 2015

Re: Google AdWords Advanced Location Targeting

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@karimulla S,

Let's take a different route. 

Campaign Name > Settings > Location > View Location Reports > User Locations

1.png

On the next screen, you can also select country, city etc. as applicable.

2.png

See if it helps. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi,

I can explain you this by taking a bigger geographical area. lets say you are targeting UK as a country and in advanced option you have selected ""People in, searching for, or who show interest in my targeted location" . In this scenario your ad will be served to all the people who live in UK as well as people who search in google.co.uk domain from other countries.

( Eg if you live in Canada and if you searching for a targeted keyword in co.uk domain your ad may still be served)

But if you selected people who only live in my targeted location your ad may only be served for people located in UK

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Nisal,

Thanks for your reply. I am aware of this. My question is, where can I see the impressions and clicks details generating from other countries?

Thanks,
Karim SK.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
If you look under the dimensions tab you can then select geo and user locations to see where the impressions and clicks are coming from.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Steve,

Here I am not seeing any KPIs outside of my targeting location. Very less impression and clicks are quoted as "unspecified" and I don't think these impressions are outside of my targeting location. Even for a larger date range (3 months), I see only my targeting location and "unspecified" under the region column. I believe there must be some numbers for other locations for a larger date range of 3 months. Can you please quickly check if you have any campaigns with this type and getting numbers for other locations? Are you seeing any numbers for outside of targeting locations?

Thanks,
Karim SK.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karimulla S
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@karimulla S,

Let's take a different route. 

Campaign Name > Settings > Location > View Location Reports > User Locations

1.png

On the next screen, you can also select country, city etc. as applicable.

2.png

See if it helps. 

All the best!

Thanks
Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC.
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Rathan,

This is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a ton for this.

Thanks,
Karim SK.