AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Goals not being tracked in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm quite familiar with Google Analytics and Google AdWords and the tracking of conversions, however, I've run into a problem with an account I'm running:

I have two goal events set up using onclick on the a href's, the goals are showing in Analytics, but they aren't showing in AdWords. The accounts are linked and the data sources are configured correctly. 

Any assistance would be appreciated,

Christopher

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author ChristopherM
September 2015

Re: Goals not being tracked in AdWords

Top Contributor
# 11
Top Contributor

Hi Christopher,

In my opinion, one thing which you can definitely try is the implementation of Conversion Tracking script for your email onclick event. Read these excellent tips provided by TC Pete.

I hope that may help you somewhat in implementing Conversion Tracking script for your Adwords campaigns.

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Christopher,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

Does the goal completion (in Google Analytics) happened after you linked Analytics goals with Adwords?

I am asking this because as per Google notes quote below:

AdWords Conversion Tracking will begin importing the data from your Analytics account, starting from the day you clicked "Import." Data from before this date won't be added to conversion tracking. You'll start to see your goals appear alongside your conversion data in your Conversion Tracking page and AdWords reports after about two weeks.

Hence you need to give it couple of weeks to allow this data to be visible under your Adwords Conversions report.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

Thank you for your response and warm welcome, I appreciate it.

I linked the AdWords and Analytics accounts a couple weeks ago. If I go into Analytics and click through to Conversions>Overview>Source/Medium it shows "google / cpc" with 1 Goal Completion TODAY.

However, in AdWords, there is no sign of this. That being said, I guess today specifically, it may take AdWords a couple of hours to catch up with data?

For the record: Import Goals was never available (grayed out).

Do you think it might just be about waiting a few hours?

I must apologize, at the time of writing my question, the Analytics account was showing different results, so there might have been a hicup.

Rob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Rob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christopher, 

We had this exact same issue with our account, we've put it down to the cookie experation date;

AdWords cookies expire 30 days after a customer's click, while Analytics uses a cookie that lasts six months to two years. That means if a customer completed a conversion 31 days after clicking on an AdWords ad, the conversion wouldn't be recorded in AdWords but would be in Analytics.

Google sums it up here http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375435

Hope this helps

Rob 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Rob,

Thanks for the reply! When you say, "That means if a customer completed a conversion 31 days after clicking on an AdWords ad" are you referring to ANY AdWords ad, or an AdWords ad of the same account?

Rob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Rob
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christopher,

It's within a single account, so if someone clicked on your ad, say for example 'Blue Shoes For Sale', but did not convert until 31 days later the conversion wouldn't be recorded in Adwords but it would be recorded in Analytics against the relevant campaign/ad group. I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks 

Rob 

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

Great ideas here everybody! Thanks for all your input! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey,

I understand what you're saying - Strange though, goals are still not appearing in two of my accounts - Analytics shows them, but AdWords doesn't, argh.

Have honestly done and look at everything, but no luck. Whereas a few of my other campaigns are working without a problem!

Really frustrating Smiley Sad

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi Christopher,

In your prior post you said importing goals option was greyed out. So did you mean to say that the Goals are yet not available to be imported from Analytics into Adwords account?

If that's the case, it could happen due to some of the reasons like:

No goal converted from your Adwords ad; you renamed the goal in Analytics and will take time to reflect and get the option of importing goals in Adwords. 

Whereas a few of my other campaigns are working without a problem!

I am not quite sure what you mean here because the option of importing goals is available at the account level.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

During my reading and research I came across the option to import goals, however, on the two accounts I'm working on, the import goals button has been grayed out the entire time, it's never been available to me.

So here's the entire story:

I have a website that tracks the clicks on two links, one link on the home page and one link on the contact page (email address onclick event goals). When I click on one of the links and wait a few hours, the click event is tracked in Analytics. However, if I click an AdWords advert, then click on the email address, the click is tracked in Analytics, but not in AdWords. I have two goal events setup in Analytics, 1) Enquiry (Home) and 2) Enquiry (Contact) - those are what are being tracked correctly in Analytics, but absolutely nothing on AdWords side. I do know that I could create goals on AdWords side, instead of importing (because I can't), but that would give me code snippets, which won't track the onclick events, this would be best used for a /success/ or /thankyou/ situation..

I have auto-tagging turned on, btw.

1. Screenshot of the Analytics account showing a goal conversion: http://d.pr/i/gyxl

2. Screenshot of the AdWords account showing no conversions: http://d.pr/i/S9fR

I honestly have no what's going on!