AdWords
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Goal tracking when goal confirmation page url is the same as pre-goal url

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

long and short of it, the goal success page is dynamically created. Client has limited funds and the website is experimental. So they want me to run an Adwords campaign and see if it's profitable/market is viable and then if it is they will spend more time on development. 

e.g. lead gen form url is /loginmembership.asp after submitting the form the results are displayed in the exact same url /loginmembership.asp

I understand that I can't use the url match to accurate count the leads. I'm guessing I need to set up an "event" goal in analytics and place a custom analytics code in the goal url to sed to analytics. Any suggestions on how I can set this up?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal tracking when goal confirmation page url is the same as pre-goal url

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine, (which reminds me, I could do with some...).

First question; is there any reason why you're using Goals in Analytics rather than Adwords Conversion tracking or eCommerce tracking in Analytics?  WIth Conversions or eCommerce it's "just" a case of placing the relevant code (or code parts) into the script at only the point where the transaction is confirmed.  It doesn't matter if it's the same page.

With Goals and Analytics, it's also possible to use funnels with a URL destination that's multiple steps on the same page.  The following page explains how:

http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1116091&topic=1007030&ctx=topic#ident...

Hope this helps!

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine,

Have my coffee cup in hand!

That's a great article and that method would certianly work. What I do, and I don't mean to imply this is a better solution only a little simpler, is use a form with a post method and include a unique variable name in the query string for each step.

Let's say your landing page is: /loginmembership.asp

That's fine. In your form on the page, use ACTION /loginmembership.asp?signup

Now, just have the script test for the presence of "signup" name in the query string. If it is present, include the conversion code in the returned content. Funnel set up is easy, use exact match:

Goal = /loginmembership.asp?signup

Step 1= /loginmembership.asp

Have fun with it!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

@jon sometimes its good to have goals setup on both. I have seen with my own eyes many times when adwords recorded a goal but analytics hasn't and vice versa. I didn't check to see if Adwords may have used the 30 day window and credited the goal to an earlier (first) adwords click. So I'm not 100% sure if there is an issue with not counting conversions in Adwords.

Suffice to say, I think it's useful to have analytics goals setup so that you can report to client how the goals are working paid vs search. Use organic + paid goal keywords to give insight onto which kws covert well and a whole host of other useful metrics.

@Pete. thanks for that. My coding skills aren't superb.. so I woud like some clarification on this soltion. is the ?signup universal in this case, or is it supposed to corroborate with whatever the page has labelled the signup button e.g. could label it "send form", "submit", "enquire now", "get quote" etc etc.

Can't paste code here so I have created an image.. this is the clients code for the submit button could you tell me which tag I need to use instead of signup. id or name? 

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine,

After looking at this code, it seems this is a more complex question than I thought.

The code you provided, apparently, is produced by dot net. I don't do dot net or .aspx, so I'm guessing here. The code on the server side should look something like this:

<asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Text="Button" PostBackUrl="~/Default4.aspx" OnClientClick="" /

I don't see the PostBackUrl in the code you provided. That probably means it posts back to the same url.

My example assumes a 2 step funnel, your landing page and the conversion page. If there are multiple steps, each of those steps needs an identifier. In my example, you would set the PostBackUrl to "/loginmembership.asp?signup". When users click on the image, they should be sent to that page, including the query string. Somethign like this.

<asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Text="Button" PostBackUrl="~/loginmembership.asp?signup" OnClientClick="" />

As I said, I don't use dot net or .aspx and only did a little quick research here to try to help you. This should work, but it might not! Run a little test like this. If the URL in your address bar includes "/loginmembership.asp?signup", it will work. That's all analytics needs to see.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a lot pete, you've been more than helpful. yes you're right this is a asp based system.

@petebardo wrote:

I don't see the PostBackUrl in the code you provided. That probably means it posts back to the same url.

That is most likely to be correct, as the form post confirmation is the exact same url as the original form. So I guess it would most likely post to the same URL.

it's a bit of a pain to work with this, I've asked the client to have a seperate confirmation page, but all these costs money and time. At this time of the year - time is precious and it's difficult to get developers to roll out these changes quickly.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

HI

There is another way to do this.

You can create a virtual pageview on click of submit button 

The code will look like

onClick="javascript&colon;_gaq.push(['_trackPageview', '/vpv/pagename/submit']);

Make sure you have vpv at start of the path with this you will be able to exclude virtual pageviews from the analyticss reports if you want.

Make sure virtual page view is called after your validation is done so pageview is recorded only for the real leads and not every click on submit button

Then you can set '/vpv/pagename/submit as your goal and then you can also import in adwords as conversion.

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine,

What I have outlined here is pretty simple to accomplish. Just add the question mark and query string to the post back URL. The virtual page view is fairly simple to do as well, since the analytics code is already installed on your site. For the virtual page view, place the code in the onClientClick.

<asp:Button ID="Button2" runat="server" Text="Button" PostBackUrl="~/Default4.aspx" OnClientClick="_gaq.push(['_trackPageview', '/vpv/pagename/submit']);" />

You can then use the the virtual page as a goal.

Best of Luck!

Pete