AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Goal Conversion TRacking using event tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

How do you track repeat and new customers using event tracking in Google Analytics?  because the suggest metric to be used for accurate conversion tracking is using 'Unique events' but what if that customer is a repeat customer and how long does it take for event tracking to end the session for a user so It can record the same user as a unique event? 

Would appreciate your answers. Please help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Siyabonga M
September 2015

Re: Goal Conversion TRacking using event tracking

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Siyabonga,

A very good question. Unfortunately it is not possible to track goal conversions using “total events”

You will have to use Event Report for total and unique breakdown. What I usually do is I go to Events > Top Events and then choose secondary dimension (Source/Medium). To see the unique and total event breakdown by Source/Medium. (Same way you can compare different dimensions)

Also a session usually ends after 30 mins of inactivity. So multiple event from same user happen within 30min will be counted as 1 unique event. If you are using Universal Analytics then you can reduce the session time bellow or above 30 min as per your requirement. Go to Admin > Property > Tracking Info > Session Settings and change the session timeout from 30min to whatever you want.

Check this link for more help. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795871?hl=en

Cheers,
Nouman

Re: Goal Conversion TRacking using event tracking

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello,

Apart from what Nouman has said above, if you still have doubts, I would encourage you to re-post this over dedicated Google Analytics forum. This is the link: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/analytics

Pankaj