AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Goal Completions vs Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I see a major difference between the data of Google Adwords and that of Google Analytics.

In my Google Analytics, it shows as 29 Goal completions happened for a particular period, whereas for the same period Google Adwords shows as 19 conversions happened.

Why is the major difference between Google products?

I put a whitepaper download page as the destination in both.

Any help is highly appreciated. Thank you!

Best,

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal Completions vs Conversions

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi amjath

Have you checked if the data you are looking at in Analytics all are from paid search traffic, or have you perhaps looked at the goal from the 'all traffic sources' perspective? This would give you a difference between the two.

/Jonas

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Amjath,

Please take a look at this article.  It explains some of the differences between Analytics and Adwords conversion tracking. 

http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375435

Beyond the fact that Analytics tracks users much longer than the 30 day window that Adwords uses, here is a relevant quote from the Help Article.

"In AdWords, a conversion is attributed to a customer's one click -- if you measure these clicks as 1-per-click conversions. In Analytics, a conversion can be attributed to a customer's visit. This can cause Analytics numbers to be higher. Also, conversion tracking reports a click the day the click occurred, while Analytics reports it the day of the conversion."

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonah,

Thank you for answering! I already checked that the data is from Google/CPC....I pulled out those data in a way to find out the goal compeletions from Google organic, Google paid, Referral and Direct.

That figure which I mentioned in my above post has arrived from Google/CPC alone.

Thank you...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tom,
Thank you for sharing the article! I would highly appreciate if you can explain it to me in simple words rather than myself going through the long, detailed article.

Once again, Thank you....)

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Amjath,

I'm sorry but I cannot explain it any better than Google does...you might just have to dig in a bit here.

Scroll down to the part about "Discrepancies between Conversion Tracking and Analytics reports", it's not that much to read.

The takeaway here is...there are known discrepancies between Adwords and Analyitics reporting due to varying tracking/reporting methods.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

The gist of the problem that you are experiencing is that you are using two different products to measure success.  This will often cause data, like conversions, to be attributed to different sources.  Here is a scenario that might help you understand a little better.

A user clicks on your Google ad, clicks around your site a bit, then leaves without converting.  The next day the same user remembers your website and types the URL directly into the search bar in their browser (no ad clicked this visit).  The user then performs some action that registers as a conversion on your site, like filling out a form.  If you look at Google Adwords conversion tracking, you will see the conversion.  If you look at Google Analytics, this particular conversion would be considered Direct Load.  In most cases, you will always see more conversions attributed to Google PPC in Adwords tracking.

Now, your scenario appears to be the opposite, more goal conversions in Google Analytics than tracking in Adwords.  Here are a few things that could be causing this:

1.  Another big difference between Google Analytics tracking and Goolge Adwords is that Google Analytics records conversions the day the conversion took place, which Google Adwords records the conversion the day the click took place.  This could easily skew your data if your days-to-conversion is more than 1 day.

2.  You have multiple goals setup and are attributing additional conversion points in Analytics that are not being tracked in Adwords.  To solve this you can always import your Google Analytics goals to Adwords.  Here is how.

3.  You are already importing Google Analytics goals into your Adwords account, but have not imported all of them.  Check the Conversion Tracking settings in your Adwords account to ensure that you have imported all that you need to.

4.  You are tracking many-per-click conversions in Analytics, but are only viewing 1-per-click conversions in Adwords.  Confirm that many-per-click is also innacurate.  If it is, you could look at exactly which keywords are reporting conversions in Google Analytics and compare those to Adwords.  Might help shed some light on what's going on.

5.  Ensure your Adwords conversion code is actually triggering on each page that you think it is.  You can either test the leads by visiting the conversion page and viewing the source code or you can check the Conversion Tracking settings in the Adwords UI.  In Adwords, once on the Conversion Tracking page, click the Webpages tab and ensure all URLs that you think are tracking conversions are showing up here.

Hope that helps a bit!

-PPCmac

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi!

In analytics, a goal will tell you conversions from ALL sources - including Organic, Referral and Direct.

AdWords will only account for conversions that come from your campaigns. E.g.

Analytics could show 30 conversions, and AdWords would show 10 - so 20 would come from Organic.

In Analytics, go to Conversions, Goals and Overview and at the bottom left you'll see "Source/Medium" which will show you how many conversions came from what sources.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That was one of the biggest reply I ever had for my post. No words to say thanks to you. Many thanks buddy!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you buddy, I really appreciate your help!