AdWords
5.7K members online now
5.7K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Goal Completions vs Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello

i am finding a major difference between Analytics Goal completions, and Ad Words Conversions.  Yes, i know others have said they had a similar problem, but these are out-landishly different!  Like i am talking 1 Conversion, to 37 Goal Completions! and yes, i have checked that i am only looking at campaign results in Analytics.  Any other possible answers?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Goal Completions vs Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Melody...

there is a 48-72 hour delay between the goal recording and Analytics and the conversion recording in AdWords if the AdWords conversion is an imported analytics goal.... could this explain things?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I wish i could say yes!
but these stats are from a month long period!

Kind regards
Melody

Melody Nightingale
Business Analyst

*M* +64 21 303 627
*E* melody@conceptdigital.co.nz
*W* www.conceptdigital.co.nz
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Melody N
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

There could be many differences in terms of data mismatch between conversion and Analytics goals. But the difference you are providing looks to be pretty huge.

Are you looking at the same date range in Adwords and Analytics while comparing these 2 stats?

Did you install Conversion tracking code lately and were you measuring the Analytics goals way back before you install Conversion Tracking code?

Are you looking at Traffic Sources>> Advertising>>Adwords>>Campaigns data? (Please note that you do get Campaigns data from Sources category also but it will include all of your campaigns including Adwords as well.)

One major difference between both scripts is the cookie expiration time. In Adwords, conversion tracking will record a conversion if it happens within 30 days of an ad click, whereas in Analytics it could last from 6 months to 2 year depending upon cookie expiration time.

I would also suggest you to read this reference where comparison between Analytics and Conversion tracking has been explained more clearly: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2679221

My 2 cents!

Pankaj