AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Use AdWords conversion tracking and reporting to measure your results. Have a question about Google Analytics? Post it here, on the Google Analytics Community!
Guide Me
star_border

Gmail campaign has far more clicks than sessions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

While checking AdWords I noticed a recent spike in clicks/impressions from a gmail campaign, so I investigated.

What seems very strange is that Analytics is showing only about 1 session for every 50 clicks. The clicks match up with the AdWords report and cost. Does that mean I'm paying 50 x the CPC for each visitor?

I see this for several gmail campaigns over sever clients. Exact ratio varies, but always far more clicks than sessions.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Gmail campaign has far more clicks than sessions?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tony,

In my opinion Google has mislabeled these interactions as clicks. I wish they would call them "Engagements" or "Interactions ".

If you want to get the true clicks in Google AdWords then navigate to Columns > Modify columns > Gmail Metrics and then add the columns : Gmail saves : Gmail forwards : Gmail clicks to website

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Tony,

Clicks reported in the gmail campaigns are actually the clicks on the teaser creative rather than clicks to the website. Hence, that's why far lesser sessions.

Regards
Rohit Khanna
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tony,

In my opinion Google has mislabeled these interactions as clicks. I wish they would call them "Engagements" or "Interactions ".

If you want to get the true clicks in Google AdWords then navigate to Columns > Modify columns > Gmail Metrics and then add the columns : Gmail saves : Gmail forwards : Gmail clicks to website

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi there;
Here you are a help article which explains the discrepancy;
"Why AdWords Clicks and Analytics Sessions don't match in your reports"
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/4588315?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Interesting. So I am actually paying for ad clicks (to expand) and not clicks to the website. Making that sort of campaign very different to analyse and put value on.

It's also confusing to have it in Analytics as there one would assume data is related to the website.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
That is correct Tony. Many people incorrectly report to their clients that Gmail ads have lower CPC's and higher CTR's but this is incorrect. You need to manually divide "Gmail clicks to website/cost" to get a true CPC, Secondly you need to divide "Gmail clicks to website/impressions" to get true CTR ....sneaky Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi So you can click on creative and that wouldn't also take you to the website? How does that work? D you mean hover over the creative? does google have an official statement on this somewhere?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Alex

When you click on the creative it first opens within Gmail itself (that is considered a click already and you have paid), then once you interact with the content within the ad that has opened and go through to a website, that would be considered a "click to website"